Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    May 08, 2013 @ 10:03
    Thomas Höhler

v6 with MVC in Medium Trust gives Encoding Error

Hi all, 

I have a strange behaviour running a new v6 installation with MVC as Rendering Engine on a shared hoster with Medium Trust (1&1) in germany. 

When I call the site I get an encoding error which shows up also in fiddler. When I remove the

accept-encoding: gzip, deflate

header I get an correct answer, when I put it into the request I get the encoding error which says that the Magic Number of the gzip stream fails.

The same done with WebForms as Rendering Engine I have no problems. 

Does MVC need full trust? Thought v6 is full Medium Trust compatible.

Had anyone a similiar behaviour?

Cheers,
    Thomas

May 08, 2013 @ 11:19
    Thomas Höhler

posted it as an issue on issues.umbraco.org: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-2203

• Dean 13 posts 56 karma points
    Jul 21, 2013 @ 19:54
    Dean

Hi Thomas, have you had any luck finding a solution to this problem? I have the same problem with my Umbraco website hosted at 1&1.

It's driving me crazy!

Jul 22, 2013 @ 08:30
    Thomas Höhler

No, not yet...

I am pretty sure that this is a problem from 1&1, but intresting that this is the same in the UK

Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:10
    Dean

OK, let me know if you find anything!

I would be happy switching gzip fucntionality off but from what I understand this isn't possible via the Web.config. Is that something you have explored as a solution?

Jul 22, 2013 @ 12:21
    Dean

I've posted a question on Stack Overflow to hopefully widen the conversation regarding this issue: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17783089/umbraco-6-mvc-on-11-1and1-shared-windows-hosting-returns-encoding-error-appe

It seems very specific to 1&1 however and without their help I think this may be difficult to fix.

Jul 22, 2013 @ 19:03
    Dean

I have had a response from 1&1:

"We do not support gzip  as of the moment under the shared hosting account however, you can use  zlib compression for your site."

Their response is interesting, is it possible that Umbraco's core CMS code or one of the prepackaged components is attempting to compress some content using gzip which is failing due to the server's lack of support?

I'm not sure if such a situation would result in a corrupt response, I would be surprised if the process made it that far before crashing if the compression was not supported on the server.

Jul 22, 2013 @ 21:14
    Jul 22, 2013 @ 22:15
    Dean

I have found the cause of the problem. I commented out all references to ClientDependency in the Web.config and now my site runs as expected. It seems as though that module is attempting to compress content but failing. This forum post helped locate the issue: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/13525-Client-Dependency-Module-playing-havoc-with-gzip-content-compression

This causes some problems with the core product and is therefore not a fix, it does however give us a starting point for investigations into how the problem can be resolved.

I have updated the Umbraco issue tracker with this information.

Jul 22, 2013 @ 22:15
    Dean

[Deleted duplicate comment]

Jul 22, 2013 @ 22:23
    Thomas Höhler

WTF???

I didn't kill the refs in the web.config, I just deactivated CD as I was running in Debug Mode

But why only for MVC rendering?

But: Hey it works, Thanks a lot Dean

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 29, 2013 @ 03:01
    Shannon Deminick

Hey guys, thx for the feeback here, really appreciated. 

I have commented on this issue here:

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-2203#comment=67-8714

Will see what I can find today but pretty sure the problem is that the content that CDF is attempting to read is already compressed by the time it reaches the filter. Just need to see if I can replicate this locally somehow. 

• Alan Ellicott 45 posts 104 karma points
    Aug 05, 2013 @ 12:32
    Alan Ellicott

I too have the same issue and would very much like to know if there is a resolution that doesn't involve me trying to persuade a shared hosting providor that he must do something different.

I have a 6.1.5 site that works fine locally and on my own server but when transferred to shared hosting was generating errors. The hosting was Pipeten in the UK.

After commenting out all references to "clientdependency" in the web.config, the site runs (almost) but won't render any of the graphics (understandable!) . It also wont let me login to the backend due to render issues.

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Aug 05, 2013 @ 12:38
    Shannon Deminick

@Alan, please see the post I mentioned above:

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-2203

I've explained what is occuring and the valid work arounds

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft