Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ian 35 posts 135 karma points
    May 15, 2013 @ 13:17
    ian

content nodes not matching the correct umbraco.config file

Hi,

I'm using the latest umbraco v6, web matrix 3 in a localhost setup.

I have just added menu content nodes and created new templates to display the data. I have then viewed the website and all is fine. I then logged out webmatrix, after re loading webmatrix the contents of the umbraco.config has all the data i have just entered, the master template data are visable in the folders/files display in web matrix. But when i load the content nodes in umbraco backend all the new data/templates are gone. Can anyone please point me in the right direction either to somehow update the content nodes/templates from the umbraco.config file and exising folder/file data and to stop this happening again?

(one very frustrated user)

thank you in advance

ian

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 15, 2013 @ 22:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ian

Thas sound a bit weird.

What database are you using? Is it ce sql or mssql? (Or even MySQL)?

/Jan

May 16, 2013 @ 09:49
    ian

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply.

It's ce sql. I have been looking at it this morning. I have been checking the log file and it's an error with multiple url's. This error is when i try to save bodytext data with the node ID 1217?? I have only been using umbraco a few weeks so no doubt quite a lot to learn. I will keep investigating but if you have any ideas on the solution that would be great.

2013-05-16 08:39:39,320 [7] ERROR umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider - [Thread 14] Error adding node 1065 to SiteMapProvider in loadNodes()
    System.InvalidOperationException: Multiple nodes with the same URL '/' were found. XmlSiteMapProvider requires that sitemap nodes have unique URLs.
       at System.Web.StaticSiteMapProvider.AddNode(SiteMapNode node, SiteMapNode parentNode)
       at umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider.loadNodes(String parentId, SiteMapNode parentNode)
    thanks
    ian
    May 16, 2013 @ 10:37
    ian

Hi, Just an update. I have deleted the node(product page) and added it again with all the correct data. However when I view it in umbraco content nodes it displays the data from the old node I had just deleted. So i checked the umbraco.config file and that displays the correct new data i've just added??? Is there a way to sync the database so all the data in all the files are the same?? very confusing?

ian

May 16, 2013 @ 16:15
    ian

Hi, Just sorted a couple of problems out with duplicate url, i have 1.5kw as a product title and 15kw, which umbraco is making the same as urls cant have "." in. So just the original System.InvalidOperationException:Multiple nodes with the same URL '/' were found. That is stopping me add content to my site umbraco says it has saved and published but when i go back in the new data hasnt been saved. any ideas??? Can i somehow delete the incorrect duplicated url from the database itself maybe??

thanks

ian

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 16, 2013 @ 20:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ian

Ok, so let's start from your latest post.

It's quite an edge-case you're sketching there and I would not have though about this being an issue myself. But of course it is in this scenario.

Fortunately you can decide how Umbraco should render url's from nodes that contains characters that are usually illegal to have in a URL. In the /config/ folder there is a file called "umbracoSettings.config".

In here there is a section called <requestHandler>, which contains some elements like <char org="."></char> within a section called <urlReplacing>. This means that you can add custom characters that needs to be replaced with an empty character or another character combination when the node is requested.

So in your case I would try to replace the dot with "-" for instance. Try writing <char org=".">-</char>. The character or sign in between the tags is the one that is being used in the url.

To make sure that the changes in this config takes effect you need to recycle the app pool of the server. This can also be done by simply touching the web.config file.

I think this should help.

In regards to the sitemap provider error stuff...it's really silly since it's caused by a definition in the web.config, which is rarely being used by anyone anyway. So simply uncomment this section in your web.config file:

<siteMap defaultProvider="UmbracoSiteMapProvider" enabled="true">
    <providers>
           <clear />
           <add name="UmbracoSiteMapProvider" type="umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider" defaultDescriptionAlias="description" securityTrimmingEnabled="true" />
         </providers>
       </siteMap>

So with that uncommented you will not see this error anymore. It has confused quite a few people and I hope it's soon removed from the web.config that comes with Umbraco out of the box since it's a really simple fix.

Cheers,
    Jan 

May 17, 2013 @ 10:45
    ian

Hi Jan,

Thank you again for your reply. I feel we are getting closer to a solution.

I have commented out the <siteMap defaultProvider= section in the web.config file and that has stopped the original duplicate url '/' error. But the new pages i'm adding still don't save (to the database) even though i can see the new data I've just added in the umbraco.config file? I have checked the log file and there are still no errors.

I am able to add and save new pages if I keep trying over and over and eventually they will be saved... Even though umbraco displays saved & published is there a cache write delay? I haven't changed any other setting from the default download. I'm using localhost iis7.5. i havent setup a new website or done anything in iis, I thought webmatrix takes care of the hosting? my web site is in a subfolder of mydocuments (the default setting) not \inetpub\wwwroot

hope you can help...

Ian

May 17, 2013 @ 12:21
    ian

hi Jan,

An update. i have done some googling and changed True in the settings file. but it has made no difference. I have also changed some document types proprties  and added  some data to a new data type and both have not been saved.

I have tried copying rather than adding new content nodes then changing the fields that need changing and after I save, quit and go back in again it has the original "just copied" data not the new updated data. (the node has also gone back to unpublished status)

UPDATE: I have setup a new website in iis express and copied across my umbraco site to inetpub/wwwroot then opened the site from there and added a few new pages without any problems. So I don't use WebMatrix at all. Could that be the problem??

So far so good. i'm about to finish for the day so will continue to test on monday.

ian

May 20, 2013 @ 10:23
    ian

Hi,

I tried to add a couple of new pages using webmatrix, didn't save any data. Quit then ran it from IIS, added a couple of new pages then added some more menu items, all ok no problems with saving. Look like on my machine anyway webmatrix isn't quite configured correctly.

ian

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft