Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kurt Emch 44 posts 85 karma points
    May 29, 2013 @ 20:42
    Kurt Emch

There is already an open DataReader associated with this Command which must be closed first.

Help - I am getting this error when creating a field in any of my document types. I have no idea what is causing it???

http://cl.ly/image/0J081G2U2W1w

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 29, 2013 @ 20:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kurt

What version of Umbraco are you seeing this error on? And how do you create the fields on the document types? Is it using the backoffice or is it using the API or doing some codefirst stuff?

/Jan

May 29, 2013 @ 20:54
    Kurt Emch

Hi Jan,

Umbraco 6.05. I am creating the fields just as normal in the backend ( generic properties > Add New Property ).

What do you mean by backoffice? I have a node parallel to the home page that I store sidebar widgets in... Is that what you mean?

Thanks,
    Kurt 

May 29, 2013 @ 20:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kurt

By backoffice I mean backend, by which I mean the Umbraco CMS :)

Just wanted to know if you used the API or the CMS.

So is this a fresh install? And has it been acting like this all the time? And what database are you using?

/Jan

May 29, 2013 @ 20:59
    Kurt Emch

Wow, I never knew it had a name! Thanks.

It's a fresh install (no starter packages). I've been building a site with it for about 4 weeks now. So you can imagine I'm at a little bit of an alarm level! 

May 29, 2013 @ 21:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kurt

Yup that's really odd...What is the database being used? Is it CE SQL, MSSQL or MySQL?

I think that if you're perhpas using CE SQL and webmatrix you should perhaps just try to restart your machine if you have not done so already.

/Jan

May 29, 2013 @ 21:05
    Kurt Emch

Oh sorry, we're using an MSSQL database.

I've tried this so far – loggin out and logging in again, republishing the site. Nothing seems to work. 

May 29, 2013 @ 21:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kurt

Perhaps you should submit this as an issue on the issue tracker here issues.umbraco.org/issues/U4 since this may be a bug somehow. But I think it's important that you write as much information that you can.

Are you the only one working on the solution? Is it possible that more users are trying to interact with the database somehow? For instance a colleague doing something using the API to do stuff in the Umbraco DB etc.?

/Jan

May 29, 2013 @ 21:22
    Kurt Emch

Yes, I am the only one working on it, so I find it unlikely it would be because someone was using the API. 

Right before this however, I was creating a couple Document Types, renamed one, deleted it, then created one with the same name. I think this may have thrown it out of whack. I should have known better, but did not think it would have caused a sitewide problem.

I'll log it as a bug. Can you think of any other leads I can follow up on to get a workaround in place? Thanks for all your help.

May 29, 2013 @ 21:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kurt

Ok, first of all - you're not the one to blame for this. Umbraco should handle this somehow. That's why it's important this is being filed as a bug on the issue tracker. It should not be possible to provoke errors like this so easy.

Unfortunately I'm no database wizard so not sure if this needs to be fixed running a script somehow. However it might be a good idea to see if the log file in the app_data/logs foldr provides additinal usefull information.

I'm also confident that someone from HQ will probably ask further questions once you post the issue. Also please post a link to it in here so others have a chance of voting up the issue.

Cheers,
    Jan 

May 29, 2013 @ 21:52
    Kurt Emch

Jan, thanks so much for your help. I just filed the bug. However, by some miracle unbeknownst to me, everything is just started working again. Like something got recycled that should have been. I literally did not do anything to make it work, so I guess I'd consider it a bug still? I have no idea. But again, thanks for all your help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft