Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vanja Tesin 30 posts 55 karma points
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 00:00
    Vanja Tesin

Exception while installing local package

Hi,

While installing local package an exception is shown after accepting the installation of .dll files:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.InstallBusinessLogic(Int32 packageId, String tempDir) +3111
    umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.processInstall(String currentStep) +933
    umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +452
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +41
    System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +131
    umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +20
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +65
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2427

This is with umbraco v 4.0.2.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3441.17657)

Asp.net 2.0

IIS7 on Vista x64

Any help is appreciated!

Sep 17, 2009 @ 09:00
    Vanja Tesin

Small clarification about this - i'm trying to create a package of my development machine and to transfer that package to different development machine by installing it.

All stuff except some templates is installed at the moment this stacktrace pops-up but it's unclear to me from the stack trace how are my templates affecting the process of installation.

• James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 09:04
    James Telfer

Vanja,

Are the document types in your package nested? The installer doesn't seem to play nicely with nested packages: I think the above may occur if a child document type is installed before the parent document type exists.

HTH, 
    JT

Sep 17, 2009 @ 09:05
    Vanja Tesin

Hi James,

From what i can see all document types are installed but their structure is not - this might be the issue then. Is there a workaround this? Maybe to manually re-order document types in the package.xml?

• James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 12:47
    James Telfer

You could reorder them in the package XML I suppose, but it's probably best just to change your package such that your document types don't use a document structure. I understand that this isn't a great solution considering that you've probably spent time organising your type structure nicely, but it's probably going to be more reliable in the long run.

Sep 17, 2009 @ 15:06
    Vanja Tesin

Ok. Problem solved. If someone runs into this one - the problem was CDATA section in one of the templates. Javascript block content was enclosed in it.

After removing it, all went well.

• Sean Mooney 131 posts 158 karma points c-trib
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 19:48
    Sean Mooney

Hello Vanja, 

I am experiencing the the same error (I think). I get the same error you have posted, all my doctypes are in order (as suggested). The only thing that I can see is one of my templates has the following:

<script runat="server">
              Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
              End Sub
    </script>

Could this be causing my error and if so, is there a way around it?

Thanks

Sep 17, 2009 @ 21:08
    Sean Mooney

Well I took out the:

<script runat="server">

From the template and tried it again but still get the above error, however it looks like all of my doctypes, templates, macros, etc. are installed properly.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to further diagnose this error?

Thanks

Sep 17, 2009 @ 21:21
    Sean Mooney

Ok figured it out.I had some extra <DocumentType> tags listed in the <Structure> element of some DocumentTypes 

Sep 18, 2009 @ 09:23
    Vanja Tesin

Hi Sean,

Did those extra DocumentType tags were added by installer? If so it migh be a bug, so you should report it.

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Oct 22, 2009 @ 15:42
    Robert J. Bullock

Guys, this is a bug. I get the same problem when I try to create and later install a Package that utilizes nested document types. That seems to be the source of the problem. 

Oct 26, 2009 @ 16:12
    Vanja Tesin

Sean,

Can you create a package that demonstrates this issue? if so, we can report an official bug perhaps.

-- vanja

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft