Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lars Mortensen 90 posts 98 karma points
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 19:06
    Lars Mortensen

Different hostnames can access other hostnames' subsite.

Hi

Umbraco v. 4.0.2.1
    ASP 3
    2008 IIS 7

I have a umbraco installation for some local sports clubs.

They have there own login so they only can see whats beloning to there respective club.

Then today I was creating a new site to a new club, an in the copy poccess I notised that the new site can access one of the other sites menu items. lets say that eg. football.com had an menu item called football, then it would look like, http://football.com/football.aspx then if I replace football.com eith e.g basketball.com so it looks like http://basketball.com/football.aspx then the page will show. But xslt files at images fails.

Is that normal behavior?

/Lars Mortensen

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 21:21
    Douglas Robar

No, not normal behavior. I just tried this on a multi-language site of mine and it works fine. Perhaps the way I've configured my site and you've configured yours is different and that's the issue? Here's what I do...

1. Be sure you've got a content tree that has a top node for each site, and all the site's pages are under that node. Similar to:

CONTENT
    + football
        + games
        + teams
        + about us
    + basketball
        + games
        + history

2. Set the following line in your web.config:

<add key="umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath" value="true" />

3. Set the following line in the /config/umbracoSettings.config:

<useDomainPrefixes>true</useDomainPrefixes>

4. For every site in your installation, right-click on it's top node and select the 'Manage Hostnames' menu. Be sure to create a hostname for each site (football.com and basketball.com in your example)

5. Be sure to include those same hostnames in your single IIS website (that is, tell our IIS website to respond to all the appropriate host headers, and let umbraco determine which specific node to respond with)

6. If you change any of the config file settings, set/change any hostnames, or copy nodes from one site to another... force umbraco to re-calculate the new url for the page(s) by either opening each page in umbraco and clicking the save/publish icon, or by right-clicking the top node for the site and clicking the 'publish' menu. Be sure to check the box to also publish children. (note that right-clicking on the CONTENT item at the top of the tree and selecting the 'republish entire site' will NOT recalculate the urls... you have to select the 'publish' menu for each top node (football or basketball in our example).

That should do it. Let us know what you find out.

cheers,
    doug.

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 21:49
    Paul Blair

Point #3 of Doug's is the main setting that needs to be looked at. It has always been false when I have seen this issue before. I set it as true as part of the setup on all of my installations now.

• Lars Mortensen 90 posts 98 karma points
    Sep 24, 2009 @ 09:36
    Lars Mortensen

Hi

1. That is my design.
    2. Not sure if I need to change it? Is it good practice or?
    3. Changed that, as Paul said it should be the cause, and it works.
    4. Also my design :)
    5. Also my design
    6. Did an IISreset on the server, and it works now.

Thank you both for the help!

/Lars Mortensen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft