Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Åke Järvklo 23 posts 69 karma points
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 11:13
    Åke Järvklo

can't comment on our.umbraco while on IPad

Hi guys!

Commenting in the forums at our.umbraco seems broken for Safari on IPad right now, which is a bit of a pain.

Ie. There's a plain textbox for commenting, but submit seems to simply devour your scribblings without saving them.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 15:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Åke

Yes this is unfortunately a known bug - but thanks for mentioning it.

I will try to look into this in my vacation (this forum is open source, just like the umbraco source code so anyone can conribute fixing stuff if they would like too. It benefits all of us) :-)

But this is something that has also really annoyed me for a long time so now that I finally have some spare time from my paid day-job I will look into it and see if I can fix it.

Cheers,
    Jan 

Jul 04, 2013 @ 15:50
    Jan Skovgaard

...And here is the link to the source code on GitHub btw :) https://github.com/umbraco/OurUmbraco feel free to dig inn if you feel like it.

/Jan

• William Burnett 213 posts 262 karma points
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 20:33
    William Burnett

Jan...

At what point do you folks stop pretending this forum is fixable. It is an outright embarrassment, both from a functionality standpoint and an organization standpoint.

The search STILL sucks (really really sucks) 3 years later and the editor (at best) is a hunk of crap. I fail to understand why those in charge are so tone deaf and blind. Why are valuable resources expended "building" something that has already been perfected. I have had at least (3) prospective Umbraco adopters decline to use the product, mostly based on their negative opinion of this site and how cumbersome it is to find information.

I understand all of the hard work that has gone into building our, but like U5, sometimes it is simply time to admit that it is never going to work.

Please just buy VBB or another fire tested product and roll it out so that we can all interact without the frustration at every turn. Who gives a flying crap if it is not built on Umbraco or .NET.  As it stands Umbraco is built on Microsoft .NET but can't be customized or administrered using any modern version of IE and this forum can not be easily used with any modern version of IE. The irony is laughable at every level.

Jul 04, 2013 @ 21:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi William

Well in fact I'm actually going to spend some of my vacation fixing some of the issues as I've mentioned above. For a long period of time Our was not open sourced. It is now. And now I actually have some time to look into some of the bugs.

I'm not pretending anything but as most of the people in here I have some paid work to do before I can do voulenteer work.

At no point have I or others claimed that this forum is perfect. And it does require some refactoring to get it to work properly to deal with the demands of today and not 3 years ago. A lot have happened since then.

I agree that currently this forum does not represent the Umbraco project in the best way possible but it is going to change. But buying some commercial forum software for an open source software project does not make much sense imho.

The future version of the forum will be based on taxonomy and search will be the main navigation so it will become much easier to find whatever you're looking for. The karma system will be much tighter integrated to search results so good posts that have many votes will rank higher than other posts etc.

The sign up process will be much more simple and better documentation for especially newcommers to the forum is in the works.

I know this since I've been lucky enough to be a part of this process - But the changes just does not happen overnight. Some hands are needed.

Instead of just ranting and pointing out what is wrong and then do nothing I think it's way better to rant about something and then help fixing it to the benefit of all instead. If the barrier to entry for fixing forum issues, umbraco core issues or whatever is to hight then scream and shout and we'll figure out a way to make it as easy as possible to contribute. But if one has got the skills and knows how to fix something...well then please feel free to digg in. We're all in this together...At all times keep in mind it IS an open source software project and if you like it and make a nice profit from using it give a little something back :)

Cheers,
    Jan 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft