Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• wzoet 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jul 08, 2013 @ 13:22
    wzoet

NullReferenceException when protecting a page

When protecting a page to prevent public viewing, a nullreferenceexception occurs after confirming the usergroup, login page and 403 page.It doesn't matter if I choose for single user protection or role based protection.Since the error occurred in 4.7 already. Just to be sure it was not a bug that was already fixed, I upgraded to 4.9, 4.11 and now 6.07, but the error remained in all versions.The site had several protected pages, but these have all somehow vanished (before upgrades already).Just for completeness sake, the stacktrace, but this doesn't help very much.[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Access.ProtectPage(Boolean Simple, Int32 DocumentId, Int32 LoginDocumentId, Int32 ErrorDocumentId) +473 umbraco.presentation.umbraco.dialogs.protectPage.protect_Click(Object sender, CommandEventArgs e) +1016 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +188 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3706                  I have no clue where to start looking for the cause of this. I already tried google, but even there were no recent reports of this issue.the problem remains even after removing umbraco.config and republishing the entire website, my current web.config is the default that comes with umbraco 6.07, extended with a profileprovider, so no strange configurations exist.With over 600 content nodes, recreating the site just isn't an option.Since I cannot reproduce this behaviour in any of my other umbraco sites running 4.7, 4.9, 4.11 or 6.07, I think this probably is a glitch somewhere rather than a bug, so if this is in the wrong section of the forum, please move it.Thanks in advance to anyone giving this a thought.

Jul 08, 2013 @ 13:25
    wzoet

Something messed-up the layout of my post, but the edit button gives me an empty screen, so I am not able to change it anymore.

• Thomas Ottosen 14 posts 34 karma points
    Oct 25, 2013 @ 16:28
    Thomas Ottosen

Hi - Did you find a solution? I have the same problem.

Thomas

Oct 25, 2013 @ 17:07
    wzoet

It seemed that the access.config file in app_data (same folder as umbraco.config) was completely empty.

I filled it with the contents of an older file. I thought it was just <access></access>.

After that the problem was gone.

Just for the record, I found out this problem because every time I loaded the website after a web.config change, a YSOD popped up with a stacktrace to "Document contains no root element" and something with access in it. After googeling that issue, I found something with a google-analytics plugin. When looking into that, I found out that the file was empty. After filling it, the YSOD was gone and suddenly the permission-screen worked again as well.

• Thomas Ottosen 14 posts 34 karma points
    Oct 25, 2013 @ 19:22
    Thomas Ottosen

thx - I deleted the content in access.config, saved webconfig file to restart and now it's working.... Strange. 

thx again

Thomas 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft