Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Allan Hawkey 232 posts 303 karma points
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 13:54
    Allan Hawkey

404 error following Windows Server backups

I've been getting 404 errors whenever I run a server backup over the last few months.  I am running about 50 sites (all on v4.11.4), and each time 0-3 sites seem to be affected.  It's easy enough to fix by "Republishing entire site" from the top level node.

However, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to which sites are affected or why, and it's not practical to check every site manually after every backup is run.

The issue seems to be that the app_data\umbraco.config file is corrupted during the backup - in the section after:

<!DOCTYPE root[

all the ELEMENT and ATTLIST rows are deleted.  Republish entire site rebuilds the umbraco.config file and recreated these rows.  Incidentally, refreshing the application pool doesn't fix the issue.

So any ideas why this happens and how to prevent it?  Or any tips for a quick way to identify affected sites or automatically republish entire site for all sites on the server after a backup?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 15:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Allan

How is the backup taken? What do you use to make it?

/Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 15:58
    Jan Skovgaard

...or how does it work when a backup is taken obviously you're using windows server. But I'm not too familiar with the tools available for taking backups.

/Jan

Jul 09, 2013 @ 15:59
    Allan Hawkey

I'm just using the standard Windows Server Backup...

Jul 25, 2013 @ 12:53
    Allan Hawkey

Anyone got any input on this issue please?

Thanks
    Allan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft