Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 76 posts 280 karma points
    Oct 28, 2013 @ 06:46
    Matt

6.1.6 endless backoffice login loop after upgrade

Upgraded from 6.1.3 to 6.1.6 by doing a diff on the vanilla downloads of the two versions - copied over the new files and made the change to web.config (explained in upgrade from 6.1.3 to 6.1.4).

Front end site works fine (After dumping umbraco.config and App_Data/TEMP folders.

On the back office site, I login and then get no error and redireced straight back to the login page. Log file confirms I "was" logged in so not a password issue.  Fiddler shows I went to /umbraco/umbraco.aspx and then redirected to logout straight away, so again not a password issue.  

Looking further at Fiddler I see that the UMB_UCONTEXT cookie is set to 10/28/2012 (1 day in the future but 1 year in the past) which is why I get logged in and straight back out again.  This is all on a dev machine so server and client all have the same date.  

Same issue does not occur on a fresh install of v6.1.6.  Any ideas?

• Kim Hansen 63 posts 144 karma points
    Nov 02, 2013 @ 11:28
    Kim Hansen

Ive got the same problem on a fresh install

Did you solve the problem?

• Matt 76 posts 280 karma points
    Nov 04, 2013 @ 05:49
    Matt

Hi Kim,

I did not solve the issue - I suspect it was Chrome (And all other browsers) rejecting the UMB_UCONTEXT cookie after it was sent.  I downloaded the source code and ran the site via the debugger and that was the conclusion I came to and gave up for the night.  The next morning the issue was gone, so who knows what it was.

Regards,
    Matt 

• Daniël Tulp 33 posts 64 karma points
    Nov 11, 2013 @ 15:21
    Daniël Tulp

I have the problem that UMB_UCONTEXT is not created on a fresh install of 6.1.6 (problem did not go away after a few days, it persists)

When I look in Fiddler I can see this: On the 'Raw' tab:

HTTP/1.1 302 Found Cache-Control: private Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 Location: /umbraco/ Set-Cookie: ASP.NETSessionId=zjlqfoxq421wmnpeydcbxv1t; path=/; HttpOnly Set-Cookie: ASP.NETSessionId=zjlqfoxq421wmnpeydcbxv1t; path=/; HttpOnly Set-Cookie: UMB_UCONTEXT=694C3[...a lot of text...]CFDD5EDB; expires=Tue, 12-Nov-2013 14:07:23 GMT; path=/; HttpOnly Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:07:23 GMT Content-Length: 126

The cookie tab shows:

Response sent 1318 bytes of Cookie data: Set-Cookie: UMB_UCONTEXT=694C3[...a lot of text...]D5EDB; expires=Tue, 12-Nov-2013 14:07:23 GMT; path=/; HttpOnly This response did not contain a P3P Header.

So we can conclude:

• the expiration time and date are correct
    • there is a 302 error, but this seems to be for all cookies and the other two mentioned are created (I'm confused about this)
    • perhaps the P3P headers are an issue?
    Nov 11, 2013 @ 16:00
    Daniël Tulp

I was able to fix my problem. The reason why the UMB_UCONTEXT cookie wasn't created was that I fixed the error

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

the wrong way.

As http://adam.kahtava.com/journal/2009/11/23/how-to-fix-the-validation-of-viewstate-mac-failed-error-aspnet-mvc/ shows I needed to create a random machinekey and add it to my web.config

Nov 11, 2013 @ 16:01
    Daniël Tulp

I was able to fix this. The reason why the UMB_UCONTEXT cookie wasn't created was that I fixed the error

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

the wrong way.

As http://adam.kahtava.com/journal/2009/11/23/how-to-fix-the-validation-of-viewstate-mac-failed-error-aspnet-mvc/ shows I needed to create a random machinekey and add it to my web.config

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft