Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John Hård 9 posts 29 karma points
    Oct 23, 2009 @ 01:36
    John Hård

Deleted item not really deleted

Hello everyone.

My first post in the forum. Hope someone can help me out.
    I have a news section on my site. I had one news item there. I added a second one, then changed the sort order of these two using the drag and drop functionality in Umbraco. Now, when I look at the site one of these items (the oldest one) gets duplicated. The site shows three items, but there are only two in Umbraco.

I tried deleting the one that was duplicated, and one of the duplicates disappears on the site but there is still one copy left which I can't even see in Umbraco.

My guess is that something got screwed up in the database when sorting. I have checked the NodeId of the "ghost item" which I can't get rid of, but I can't find this NodeId in any of the tables.
    I checked the Node.Version field and got a GUID which I can find in the table CmsContentXml and CmsContentVersion, but I don't want to start deleting rows in the database since I am not too familiar with the database structure, and this is a production site.

It is not a caching problem. I have restarted both browser and website. 

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Setup:
    Umbraco 4.0.2.1
    ASP.NET 2.0

Oh, and it is an ascx rendering the news items, using Node.GetCurrent().Children

Thanks a bunch!

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 23, 2009 @ 09:10
    Dirk De Grave

Hi John,

Could you check the umbraco.config file from the /data folder and verify whether there's three or two nodes in there? It sounds pretty odd to me. Also, can you reproduce this more than once. If so, can you log this on Codeplex so this issue can be addressed in future release?

TIA,

/Dirk

• mph 44 posts 78 karma points
    Oct 23, 2009 @ 09:53
    mph

Hi John,

I've had sort the same issue - I resolved it by republishing the entire site...

Right clik Content node - Republish Entire Site

You could try to give it at try :)

Best regards,

Michael

Oct 23, 2009 @ 10:03
    John Hård

Hi Dirk.

Thanks for the fast reply. Right now the umbraco.config file contains two news items - same as are shown on the site - but in Umbraco I have only one news item left. Hence, there is one node in umbraco.config which is deleted, but still is there.

Is umbraco.config the cached content which the site actually uses? If so, I believe that this file is regenerated when the site is restarted? Is it competely regenerated on restart or is the file modified? I.e. would it be an option to manually remove the node from the umbraco.config file?

I haven't seen this error before when developing the site, but I haven't tried to reproduce the error on the production site after it first appeared. I will take a database backup tonight and try to reproduce it on a development machine. Maybe I can run a trace on the SQL Server to see where the deleted content actually comes from.

I will make sure to log this issue on Codeplex if I find it to be a bug. I still hope that this is all due to my ignorance though.

Again: thanks for your help. Please let me know if you have any more input on this, or answers to the questions about the umbraco.config file.

/John Hård

Oct 23, 2009 @ 10:07
    John Hård

Michael,

I saw your reply just now. Thanks a lot. I will give that a try and let you know how it works out.
    I really appreciate you help. Lots of action in this forum.

/John

Oct 23, 2009 @ 10:24
    John Hård

Michael!

Republishing the whole site solved it. Thank you so much. I owe you one.

Dirk: I'd say that this is in fact a bug. I'll post it on Codeplex as soon as possible. Thank you too.

/John Hård

• mph 44 posts 78 karma points
    Oct 23, 2009 @ 11:10
    mph

Hi John!

Glad to learn it fixed the problem :)

Have a great day!

/Michael

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Nov 01, 2010 @ 11:06
    Matt Taylor

Thanks, this really helped me out too.

• Jacob Phillips 34 posts 84 karma points
    Dec 28, 2010 @ 20:06
    Jacob Phillips

Hi, I'm having the same problem.

I am a little nervous to run the repulish on the entire site as the cache is 100mb...

Other admin features that apply to multiple nodes often seem to time out. Not sure what the affect of that is....

Tried it anyway, so far it seems to have worked.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft