Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thijs Kuipers 43 posts 66 karma points
    Nov 27, 2009 @ 13:13
    Thijs Kuipers

Language trouble (removing and adding)

I'm posting here first to learn whether this is a bug or a unique case.

Using an Umbraco 4.0.2.1 installation, coming from 3.0.5.

There are nine languages/domains in this particular Umbraco instance and I was doing some "clean-up" work to remove non-culture specific languages, to be replaced with the culture specific languages. I checked all hostnames to make sure "English" had been replaced by "English (U.S.)" and then removed "English" from Settings => Languages. Oh boy, I wish I'd never done that.

The next thing I got on the front-end were big fat exceptions. And on the back-end I could no longer get any further than loading the tree on the left, while getting the same exception on the right. Adding the language again was a no-no. I eventually resorted to adding the language myself in the DB, by unsetting the primary key, adding the language with the right id and then re-setting the primary key.

Why-oh-why am I able to remove a language when it will bring down the entire umbraco instance? Foreign-key constraints anyone? I haven't got the exception at hand right now, but in case anyone needs it, I'll happily delete "English" again. I mean, who needs English anyway?

Second thing I encountered today was an exception when adding "Serbian (Latin, Serbia)". It was actually a SQLException because "data would be truncated" (link to full Exception). Adding "Arabic (Egypt)" wasn't a problem though, so I'm not sure what the logic/pattern is here.

Has anyone else had the abovementioned problems in Umbraco, either during removal or addition of languages/cultures? (BTW, I love Umbraco and just like to contribute by solving bugs, not by nagging about problems).

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 14:34
    Chris Houston

Hi Thijs,

I have not encountered the problem, but what I suggest you do is replicate the problem and then check to see if anyone has reported the problem on Codeplex which is where all Umbraco bugs should be reported. This area of the forum is actually for problems with the forum it's self.

Umbraco Issue Tracker

Cheers,

Chris

• Thijs Kuipers 43 posts 66 karma points
    Nov 30, 2009 @ 10:30
    Thijs Kuipers

My bad, I thought 'bugs' referred to bugs in Umbraco. I've copied the DB and website folder from production back to development to see if I can reproduce on a different machine. Thanks for your clarification!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft