Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan 188 posts 380 karma points
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 10:27
    Johan

Unpublish at not unpublishing

My client is trying to use the Unpublish at function but that didn't work. I tried it on my local copy but it worked fine. So the problem only exist on the shared public server. Both the publish at and unpublish at is not working. Where should i be looking for errors?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 10:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Johan

What version of Umbraco are you using?

Try and see if something has been written to the trace log found in /app_data/logs

/Jan

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 12:09
    Sören Deger

Hi Johan,

maybe your sql database on public server has another language as your database on your local copy? I had this problem earlier times. For example: if I set the language to german a different date format was used and it did not work.

Nov 07, 2014 @ 12:59
    Johan

@Jan I'm using 7.1.8

@Sören Thanks sounds like a very plausible solution. I'll check that out asap.

Nov 10, 2014 @ 10:26
    Johan

@Sören They had the same language settings (did a SELECT @@language) and if i do a GETDATE() they get the same date so the servers seem to have the same time settings too.

Nov 10, 2014 @ 10:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Johan

Ok, it might be a bug that needs to be reported on the issue tracker if it has not been done so already.

/Jan

Nov 10, 2014 @ 11:15
    Johan

@Jan Yeah it might. I don't really know if it is reproducible though. Should i report anyway (couldn't find any similar reports on the tracekr)?

Nov 10, 2014 @ 21:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Johan

I think it's best to be able to document how to trigger the issue and then report it. Otherwise it's kinda hard for the guys to figure it out and then it will have a low priority I think.

So if you experience it again and figure out how to reproduce it then go for it I would say :)

/Jan

Jan 02, 2015 @ 13:09
    Johan

I think i need some pointers on where i should be digging for clues to solve this.

If i try to publish a page with "publish at" set to one minute before current time it get published.

If i try to publish a page with "publish at" set to one minute after current time it get Publish: testing (2174) could not be published because the item is scheduled for release.

I know your not supposed to publish scheduled pages but as a test it strangthen the theory that the time settings on the server is not the problem. Right?

If i set the publish at time to five minutes after current time, save, and wait 5 minutes. Nothing happens. The time doesn't even get cleared.

EDIT: I found something! In the trace log i get this.

2015-01-02 00:01:29,034 [7] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 63] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing
    System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 91.142.186.217:80
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request)
       at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data)
       at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Start(ApplicationContext appContext)

This could be because of the folder permissions right? I'm going to double check that they are correct.

EDIT 2: Are these guidelines for folder permissions applicable and/or up to date for umbraco 7? http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions

Jan 05, 2015 @ 15:08
    Johan

It wasn't the folder permissions. My hosting provider tells me that Umbraco is making a call to the general IP to the server with all the sites on the shared service. Is Umbraco 7 not supposed to support shared hosting environments? Or is this a bug that should be reported?

Jan 07, 2015 @ 09:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Johan

Umbraco should be able to run on shared hosting environments - I have some sites running on shared hosting, which are working fine and I think many people use Umbraco on shared hosting as well each day.

I must admit that currently I don't have an Umbraco 7 installation running on shared hosting but I'm confident that if other people had issues like this then we would have heard about it in the early days of v7.

Not sure about the server-call though - Just know that myself and others are using Umbraco succesfully on shared hosting everyday without any issues. Don't know if there is another alternative you could try using instead?

/Jan

Mar 10, 2015 @ 10:57
    Johan

I have still not figured this out. I have now tried installing Umbraco 7 on other shared hosts without problems.

Updated Umbraco to the latest version. Still get the error but it is slightly different.

Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing

An error occurred with the scheduled publishing. The base url used in the request was: http://domain.se:80/umbraco/, see http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Config-files/umbracoSettings/#ScheduledTasks documentation for details on setting a baseUrl if this is in error System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 91.142.186.217:80 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data) at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(String address, String data) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Run()

As suggested in the error i tried changing the baseUrl in umbracosettings but it didn't help either :S

Mar 17, 2015 @ 11:44
    Johan

Above is the error message for Scheduled publishing but i also get error for "KeepAlive"

Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive

Error in ping. The base url used in the request was: http://domain.se:80/umbraco/, see http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Config-files/umbracoSettings/#ScheduledTasks documentation for details on setting a baseUrl if this is in error System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 91.142.186.217:80 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(String address) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive.Start(ApplicationContext appContext, IUmbracoSettingsSection settings)

Is the IP supposed to be in there? Isn't it supposed to be the "baseUrl"?

Current Umbraco version is 7.2.2 and there is no SSL involved.

• Chris Wilson 100 posts 377 karma points
    May 18, 2015 @ 11:47
    Chris Wilson

7.2.4, we just experienced this last night; content page was scheduled to unpublish at 23:59:59 and did not.

I'm investigating now, any advice on avenues to check?

Chris.

• Rune Antonsen 29 posts 145 karma points
    Feb 17, 2016 @ 13:14
    Rune Antonsen

Hi! We're currently experiencing the same issue. Were you guys able to find a solution to this?

It works fine when I run the site locally, but on the production server nothing happens. Don't get errors in the log either.

It's so frustrating.

• Chris Wilson 100 posts 377 karma points
    Feb 17, 2016 @ 14:56
    Chris Wilson

Hi Rune,

It seems that the scheduling service can't run if the application is not currently running, so if IIS decides to unload it to save resources (for instance; when there are no visitors for x number of minutes), your scheduled publishing tasks are unable to run.

We got around this by creating a publish/unpublish page which would only trigger actions if the request was made from the local machine, we then used the ContentService to do the work for us. This way we simply create a Windows Scheduled Task on the web server to trigger that URL with params (pub/unpub and the document ID), and everything executes properly.

We did try using a scheduled task to "wake" the instance before the Umbraco Publishing task triggered, but this was not always reliable.

I hope some of this may help!

/Chris

• Rune Antonsen 29 posts 145 karma points
    Feb 18, 2016 @ 09:53
    Rune Antonsen

Thanks for the reply Chris. We came to the same conclusion at the office, we already have some other stuff running like this.

But it's kinda weird that this semi functional stuff is in there. There has to be a lot of sites having this issue?

I'm not sure how the scheduler works but shouldn't it be possible to make it check at start up, so if it's been unloaded it does a check on all nodes for publish/unpublish actions. Won't this fix the problem?

• Manish 373 posts 932 karma points
    May 05, 2016 @ 05:53
    Manish

I am also facing the same issue when i tried on local environment (For 7.2.8 and 7.3.0) it works fine but when i scheduled for publishing any page on server, it is failed to publish on scheduled time.

Manish

• Manish 373 posts 932 karma points
    May 20, 2016 @ 07:18
    Manish

Is there any clue how to solve this problem. I am trying to investigate this since last 30 days.

Manish

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jun 01, 2016 @ 15:47
    Connie DeCinko

Add us to the list. This has worked off and on, mostly off for at least 5 years, since version 4.x. We are now on version 6.2.5. No errors in the log, nothing appears out of place, server times are all good. This is such a simple thing, why does this not work? I have one other task scheduled via Umbraco that does run, just not on the expected schedule since it's effected by app pool restarts.

• Mats Stam 61 posts 210 karma points
    Sep 08, 2016 @ 12:47
    Mats Stam

Here too...

Using 7.4.3 and everything's working on my local computer and on our test-environment. But not on the live server. Can't find anything in the logs.

Could it be something with the database? Not quite sure where to look...

What are we supposed to do with this? I'm at a loss :/

• Mats Stam 61 posts 210 karma points
    Sep 12, 2016 @ 15:28
    Mats Stam

Mayhaps this can atleast help someone else...

Seems that setting umbracoApplicationUrl in umbracoSettings.config (the web.routing-element) did the trick for me. I had the site run first on regular http, then on https. Something must've gone haywire in there I guess...

Anyways, when setting that it all popped up and started unpublishing stuff that needed unpublishing etc :)

Hope this can help someone else :)

edit: Oh yeah, and this isn't an actual fix. More like a workaround :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft