Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lisa Phillips 6 posts 26 karma points
    Dec 18, 2009 @ 04:17
    Lisa Phillips

'Publish At' date not working

Hi there,

The website we've created will not publish on the date/time that we set. I have looked on the internet and seen that this was an issue that was raised and closed:

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=22816

1. Create a new folder
    2. Add in our content
    3. Press 'SAVE' in Properties
    4. Set a date and time for this to publish.

What we've found is that going back into Umbraco, this does not publish and it removes the 'Publish At' date.

We've even tried publishing and unpublishing, then setting a date, (in case it was an issue with just saving).

Nothing seems to work.

Site is on Umbraco 4.0.3, and across two servers. (Neither of which show the folder as published).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Dec 18, 2009 @ 12:17
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Lisa,

Swap around the last two steps:

1. Create the content page
    2. Set the date/time "Publish at"
    3. Save the content (do not "Save and Publish")

It took me a while to figure out, NOT to press the "Save and Publish" button ... just Save it.

Good luck, Lee.

• Lisa Phillips 6 posts 26 karma points
    Dec 20, 2009 @ 22:21
    Lisa Phillips

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the advise. I tried that, but what happens is:

1. Create the content folder
    2. Update the content
    3. Set the date/time "Publish at"
    4. Hit Save

After the date/time has passed, going back into Umbraco the folder is still unpublished, and the 'Last Edited' time is when I saved it, but the "Publish at" field is now empty.  The "Publish at" date is in the field up until the time set for it to publish. Its like it recognises once that date/time has occured and the date is then reset/removed, but the folder still does not publish.

Thanks

Lisa

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 05:27
    skiltz

You could possibly look in the UmbracoLog  database table and see if there is any errors in there.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 07:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

It seems that this is a problem in 4.0.3, Calvin and Mat are having the same issue in this thread: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/templating/templates-and-document-types/5934-Date-Picker-doesn't-work

• Rodske 74 posts 104 karma points
    Dec 22, 2009 @ 22:48
    Rodske

I've had the same issue with sites on our NLB.

I don't think it relates to the "Date picker doesn't work" thread because the date is actually correctly save and able to be reloaded during the time before the "Publish At" date is hit.

• Rodske 74 posts 104 karma points
    Dec 22, 2009 @ 23:16
    Rodske

The issue I get is...

Error publishing node: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.controls.Factory' threw an exception. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at umbraco.BusinessLogic.Utils.TypeFinder.FindClassesOfType[T](Boolean useSeperateAppDomain) at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.controls.Factory.Initialize() at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.controls.Factory..cctor() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.get_DataType() at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.property.Property.MakeNew(PropertyType pt, Content c, Guid versionId) at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content.createNewVersion() at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.PublishWithResult(User u) at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.Publish(User u) at umbraco.presentation.publishingService.CheckPublishing(Object sender)

The app pool has standard parameters (1 web garden), except for Identity, where we use an Active Directory user for integrated authentication to the db and umbracoUseDirectoryUrls & umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath is set to true.

• Matthew 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jan 06, 2010 @ 20:31
    Matthew

Hello,

We are having the same problem with load balanced 4.0.3 install.

We have updated Umbraco from 4.0.2 to the nightly release that was posted in the "Date picker doesn't work" thread. The update did not fix the issue with the "Publish at" feild going blank and the content remaining unpublished after the date/time has passed.

We were having a similar problem with the "Remove at" not unpublishing content properly but that appears to have been fixed after performing update.

• Gareth Evans 141 posts 332 karma points c-trib
    Feb 08, 2010 @ 22:08
    Gareth Evans

We are having the same or a similar problem with two IIS7.5 (2008 R2) web nodes load balancing.

We've set up the balancing correctly as everything is being published when you do it by hand.

I've observed that the items appear to be published, but are not actually publsihed when I go to the live site.

We have definitely upgraded to 4.0.3, as we did this on all (40 or so) umbraco instances to fix this specific issue - which the release notes indicated was fixed.

I can't see anything in umbracoLog but I do see this quite frequently:

Error removing node from umbraco index: 'System.IO.IOException: No sub-file with id _10c.f12 found     at Lucene.Net.Index.CompoundFileReader.OpenInput(String id)     at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.OpenNorms(Directory cfsDir)     at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Initialize(SegmentInfo si)     at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Get(Directory dir, SegmentInfo si, SegmentInfos sis, Boolean closeDir, Boolean ownDir)     at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.AnonymousClassWith.DoBody()     at Lucene.Net.Store.Lock.With.Run()     at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.Open(Directory directory, Boolean closeDirectory)     at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.index.Indexer.ContentIndexReader()     at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.index.Indexer.RemoveNode(Int32 Id)'

Which I don't think is related.

The "hotfix" linked to from the linked post above (which is just a nightly build) is now 404'ing.

Gareth

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 09, 2010 @ 08:45
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I don't have a solution for the publish at problem, however Gareth, you might want to consider installing Win2008 SP2 on your server as it seems to have fixed the indexing problem you're having. After the install run /umbraco/reindex.aspx to fix your indexes. 

• Gareth Evans 141 posts 332 karma points c-trib
    Feb 12, 2010 @ 04:50
    Gareth Evans

Didn't think of this, but until this problem is fixed with publishing content - this is what i've done...

added a new date field to my document type

wrote xslt to only show the items which should be published

and published everything

<xsl:variable name="currentDate" select="umbraco.library:CurrentDate()"/>
    <xsl:variable name="articleDate" select="$currentPage/data[@alias='showContentIfAfter']"/>

<xsl:if test="(string($articleDate) = '' or (string($articleDate) != '' and umbraco.library:DateGreaterThan($currentDate, $articleDate)))">

• Anders Burla 2560 posts 8256 karma points
    Mar 02, 2010 @ 21:12
    Anders Burla

Has a core team member tested this if its a bug that needs to be fixed?

• Bruce Clark 56 posts 80 karma points
    May 18, 2010 @ 18:17
    Bruce Clark

This is a good question. We're seeing the same issue on our end.

4.03 with a publish date and time set. The publish never happens, just rolls on by.

• Matthew 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 26, 2010 @ 18:12
    Matthew

The new version of Umbraco (4.0.4.1) has resolved this issue for us.

• Eric Boen 40 posts 64 karma points
    Dec 03, 2010 @ 21:02
    Eric Boen

Hi,

We're running v4.5.2 (.NET 4.0) on IIS 7.5 windows 2008 Service Pack 2.  We've been running Umbraco for 4 months now and have been unable to get the "Publish At" or "Remove At" to work.  Items that are set to publish at a certain date/time do not publish and those that are set to remove at a certain date/time do not "unpublish".   I'm not seeing anything in the umbraco logs or the server eventlogs.  Any suggestions or advise? 

Thanks

Eric

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Dec 29, 2010 @ 20:04
    Connie DeCinko

Same situation as Eric.  Can anyone confirm or deny a bug?

• soldarnal 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 06, 2011 @ 19:10
    soldarnal

I am in the same situation as Eric as well. Oddly, the functions work fine on my localhost development machine which is Windows 7.

• Wojciech Tengler 95 posts 198 karma points
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:31
    Wojciech Tengler

I've just instaled Umbraco 4.7.0 and I have the same problem like Eric: no errors in umbracoLog, after Publish At time occur the node looks like published but it is not. When click on the node then I can see in umbracoLog: Couldn't find any page with the nodeId = 87181. This is most likely caused by the page isn't published!  Parameter name: nodeId

• Wojciech Tengler 95 posts 198 karma points
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:14
    Wojciech Tengler

I reported this problem in Umbraco issue tracker:

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/30204

Please vote!

• Michael Worrall 57 posts 82 karma points
    May 17, 2011 @ 13:22
    Michael Worrall

Hi,

I'm having the same issue as Erric to, using Umbraco 4.5.2 on windows 2003 R2

Mike

• Muhammad Humayun 49 posts 79 karma points
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 11:26
    Muhammad Humayun

Hi,

We are having the same issue. In our case, nothing happens against the desired page which is meant to be published on a scheduled date and it remains as SAVED ONLY.

One more question. Can we have a batch publish to publish all the child nodes on a scheduled date?

Thanks

Muhammad

• Paul Bennett 30 posts 53 karma points
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 15:30
    Paul Bennett

Has there been a resolution to this?

We are experiencing the same issue in Umbraco 4.7 - There are no errors being generated in the umbraco log and the site is not running on distributed servers as has been suggested is the problem for other people. The publish at date simply passes and the changes remain unpublished both in the website front end and within Umbraco.

• Paul Bennett 30 posts 53 karma points
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 16:53
    Paul Bennett

Further to this I have run the batch file to modify permissions as shown on this page http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/set-umbraco-folder-permissions-from-command-line - since doing this the page now states that is has been published correctly within Umbraco but still remains unpublished at the front end.

I am now however getting the following error in the Umbraco log:

Error publishing node: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     
    at umbraco.NodeFactory.Node..ctor(Int32 NodeId)     
    at umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider.loadNodes(String parentId, SiteMapNode parentNode)     
    at umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider.BuildSiteMap()  
    at umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider.UpdateNode(Node node)     
    at umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Document d)     
    at umbraco.library.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 DocumentId)     
    at umbraco.presentation.publishingService.CheckPublishing(Object sender)

I think this may be a 'red herring' though as I get this error thrown in clean installs of Umbraco where the publish at functionality works correctly.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

• James P 6 posts 26 karma points
    Sep 21, 2011 @ 18:03
    James P

Has there been a resolution to this do you know?

We are also experiencing the same issue in Umbraco 4.7 (no distributed folders).

• Scott McCown 15 posts 37 karma points
    Sep 21, 2011 @ 21:45
    Scott McCown

I'm getting the same error as well in Umbraco 4.7.0 and can confirm that it happens on both load balanced and non-load balanced instances of Umbraco. If I create a new page within Umbraco, set the publish and unpublish times, and click "save" (not publish), the time will come and go without publishing anything. HOWEVER, if I create a new page, publish it, unpublish it, then set the publish and unpublish times and click "save", everything works fine.

However, the problem with this workaround is that when you publish a page on a Blog (like uBlogsy or Blog4Umbraco), the RSS feed automatically updates and everyone subscribed to that feed receives the updated content when you first publish it (thus informing everyone that you've created a new post before you meant for it to go live). I'll post here if I find a true resolution. Anyone else that finds one please do the same.

Sep 21, 2011 @ 22:50
    Scott McCown

It looks like 4.7.1 (see here) was just released today and includes a fix for the publish at feature AND the internal search (something I'd been hoping for). See the release notes for upgrade instructions. I'm upgrading now on a local instance of Umbraco and will update here if the issue was resolved and how the upgrade process went.

• James P 6 posts 26 karma points
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 10:19
    James P

Scott - that's a damn fine work around - we'll give that a go straight away!

And thanks for the info on 4.7.1 - it would be great to know how it goes for you. It takes us the best part of a day to uprade the client sites at the moment so knowing its worked for someone else might help us get it pushed though.

• Alex Campbell 47 posts 69 karma points
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 11:04
    Alex Campbell

I find that if I have never published a page before then the "Publish at" will not work. But, if the page:

- has been published
     - I make some changes
     - set the Publish at
     - hit Save 

the content will appear at the correct date and time.

Oct 05, 2011 @ 11:06
    Alex Campbell

Scott's method also worked great!

• Ruald Gerber 20 posts 41 karma points
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 18:20
    Ruald Gerber

Hey

Does anyone know if this has been fixed. I upgraded to 4.7.1 and still having problems. Although the log is giving 2 errors...

Error adding node with url 'blah' to SiteMapProvider: System.InvalidOperationException: Multiple nodes with the same URL '/#' were found. XmlSiteMapProvider requires that sitemap nodes have unique URLs.     at System.Web.StaticSiteMapProvider.AddNode(SiteMapNode node, SiteMapNode parentNode)     at umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider.UpdateNode(Node node)

and

Couldn't find any page with the nodeId = 12880. This is most likely caused by the page isn't published!  Parameter name: nodeId

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Giorgos Grispos 145 posts 179 karma points
    Oct 19, 2011 @ 10:57
    Giorgos Grispos

Hey Scott,

I am in 4.7.0 at the moment and I am moving to 4.7.1 just for this bug. The thing is that sometimes works and some not in 4.7.0.

Have you managed to test the 4.7.1 yet? Does it look to be solved?

Cheers, Giorgos

Oct 19, 2011 @ 21:48
    Scott McCown

Hey Giorgos,

Sorry, I forgot to follow up. I performed the upgrade on my local dev instance of Umbraco (my laptop running IIS 7, SQL Server 2008, Windows 7 x64). Everything went smoothly and I tested the "publish at" and it worked flawlessly with me for a new page that had never been previously published. I tested it with several pages and even tested the unpublish and everything is now working! The 4.7.1 upgrade also fixed the Umbraco back-office search, which was something that I was anxiously waiting for. I haven't tested it on our QA and Staging server environments yet tho (IIS 6, SQL Server 2008 R2).

For those that are having trouble after the upgrade, try republishing the entire site (from Content Section, right click on the root of your site, click Publish, Check "publish [site] and all its subpages") might help to ensure that ID's didn't get messed up somehow. Hope this helps.

- Scott

• Ruald Gerber 20 posts 41 karma points
    Oct 20, 2011 @ 10:07
    Ruald Gerber

Hi Scott

I can confirm this is working with a new clean site, and after I published the entire tree in my existing site it worked as well (both 4.7.1).

Thanks for your help!

Ruald

Oct 20, 2011 @ 11:16
    Giorgos Grispos

Hi Scott,

That's great news both 'publish at' and the back end search are extremely useful for my client.
    I'll go ahead with the update late at night and I'll let you know about the results.

Cheers, Giorgos

Oct 21, 2011 @ 21:44
    Giorgos Grispos

Hi Scot,

I can confirm that everything is fine so far, upgrade from 4.7.0 to 4.7.1 finished succesfully with no problems so far. It seems that 'publish at' function works great as well as the back end search, we really miss that.

The only problem I had so far, was with the Tinymce editor. In case you use your own style.css within the rich text editor like me you will see the background colour of your file to overwrite the default tinymce one. So in case you have a ie. #000 in your custom css you will have a problem. All I did was to just find the css file: /umbraco_client/tinymce3/themes/umbraco/skins/umbraco/content.css and in line 1, 2 and 3 where is the body{background:#fff;} I just put an important! to make it stronger.

Cheers, Giorgos

• Michael Worrall 57 posts 82 karma points
    Dec 02, 2011 @ 11:08
    Michael Worrall

Hiya,

So after going through this thread I've gone the the effort of upgrading to 4.7.1 in the hope that the page publishing would be working.  For me I'm still getting the exact same issue as I had before; Umbraco appears to publish the page (i.e. the properties tab says it's published), however the page doesn't appear on the site.  Also within the properties tab the url for the page is listed as domain.com/# instead of domain.com/pagename.aspx.

I've tried the save and publish the page, unpublish and then re-schedule option and it still doesn't work...

Am I missing something here? 

Thanks,

Mike

• René Pjengaard 117 posts 700 karma points c-trib
    Sep 20, 2012 @ 12:50
    René Pjengaard

Hi all,

i´m on 4.7.2 and i still can´t publish to the frontend xml (umbraco.config). In the backend, the page gets published.

In the log i also get this message: Error adding node with url 'Testside' to SiteMapProvider: System.InvalidOperationException: Multiple nodes with the same URL '/#' were found. XmlSiteMapProvider requires that sitemap nodes have unique URLs.     at System.Web.StaticSiteMapProvider.AddNode(SiteMapNode node, SiteMapNode parentNode)     at umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider.UpdateNode(Node node)

It´s doesn´t matter if i publish the page first, i get the same error, just with a url instead of "/#".

Has anyone a working solution on this one?

Best regards

René

• Murray Roke 502 posts 965 karma points c-trib
    Oct 25, 2012 @ 05:59
    Murray Roke

One thing that could be causing this symptom for some people.... if you have a dev environment where you all share a database, then one machine may trigger the publish locally and the others will miss out.

• Stefan van Leusden 21 posts 73 karma points
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 09:41
    Stefan van Leusden

Hi Scott, Alex,

With your method:

- has been published
     - I make some changes
     - set the Publish at
     - hit Save

On which Umbraco version did you test it? I've tried it but no succes with version 4.0.3.

Cheers,
    Stefan

Feb 13, 2013 @ 14:02
    Alex Campbell

It would have been either 4.5 or 4.5.2

• Manish 373 posts 932 karma points
    May 04, 2016 @ 10:39
    Manish

I am using version 7.3.0 of umbraco. I scheduled a page to be published in future time. But this does not seems working. What am i missing ?

Thanks Manish

• John Churchley 272 posts 1258 karma points c-trib
    May 04, 2016 @ 11:46
    John Churchley

Hi Manish,

Appears there is a bug even in 7.4.2 if you click save and publish before setting the "published at" it will appear even through you don't want it too. If your parent node has a list view you can select the page concerned an unpublish. Then republish and it should work.

• Manish 373 posts 932 karma points
    May 05, 2016 @ 08:42
    Manish

Hi John

I schedule page to be published in future time. I have checked this on local environment and it works fine for (umbraco 7.2.8 and 7.3.0) but when i tried on production server for the same version. it failed to publish page on scheduled time.

Manish

• Gaurav 5 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 06, 2017 @ 12:29
    Gaurav

Hi,

Are you able to publish at a given time ?

• Martin Kyukov 36 posts 231 karma points
    Jan 06, 2017 @ 14:27
    Martin Kyukov

I have the same issue. On local everything works as expected but on production it's as if nothing gets fired at all.

• Gaurav 5 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 06, 2017 @ 14:40
    Gaurav

I have the same question. I am still waiting for any response.

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-forms/81635-publish-at-not-working-on-version-721

Will someone help into this ?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft