Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Jan 09, 2015 @ 21:16
    Matthew Kirschner

Occasional application shutdown when saving and publishing

We've been having some major issues with a site running Umbraco 7.2.1 on our server. The app crashes regularly after a save and publish operation, but not all the time. After restarting the app pool, I can get the site functional but this is very brief and will usually break after one or several pages are published. I'm hoping that someone else has run into this issue and could provide some insight. More details below:

Server setup: VM running Windows Server 2012 r2 IIS8 - all files are running locally on this machine. We originally had this in a load balanced environment pointing to a clustered file system. We had some minor issues with nodes getting out of synch, so we switched gears and just threw the site on a single node. That's when these publishing issues happened.

Errors - this is just a relevant snippet of the Umbraco log file:

2015-01-09 14:57:34,254 [11] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 21] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing
    System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
       at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request)
       at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data)
       at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Run()
    2015-01-09 14:57:53,426 [11] INFO  umbraco.BusinessLogic.Log - [Thread 21] Log scrubbed.  Removed all items older than 2014-11-10 14:57:53
    2015-01-09 14:58:34,223 [11] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive - [Thread 17] Error in ping
    System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
       at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
       at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)

These errors are repeated several times further down the log.

Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

• Samuel Benkovič 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jan 29, 2015 @ 18:24
    Samuel Benkovič

same problem here ... plz any 1 ? any solution ?  

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Jan 29, 2015 @ 19:43
    Matthew Kirschner

While I've never discovered the source of the issue and haven't been able to kill it completely, I have managed to reduce the occurances down to roughly once a day (as opposed to every several minutes). In order to reduce the complexity of our setup, we went away from serving the site on two nodes and are back down to a single one with a central file system. We still get the errors, but rarely. This leads me to believe that there may be some caching or permissions issue between the server and the file system. This almost always seems to happen immediately after a page is edited or published in the backoffice. Perhaps it could also be an issue with Archetype as we are using that extensively as a sort of page builder.

• Brandon R Barnett 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 14:51
    Brandon R Barnett

I know this was a while ago, but just in case anyone else encounters this problem and is running the site on Server 2012 R2: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3052480

The issue was a Microsoft update where it would crash the application on publish. I was getting that too before installing the hotfix in the attached link. This is specific to 2012 R2

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft