Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kasper Kristensen 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 15, 2015 @ 15:34
    Kasper Kristensen

Getting Umbraco 7.x to work in IE8

Hello

We are currently working on a custom property editor in umbraco 7. Unfortunately we now found out that we need to support IE8+, which isn't supported by umbraco 7. Therefore we're looking into forcing Umbraco 7 to work with IE8.

So far i've gotten the lazyload library to work, and i'm looking into getting the angular library to work as well, however i'm anticipating a long list of issues that will continually pop up.

Has anyone here actually gotten umbraco 7 to work in IE8? And if so, are you willing to share your work with us? It would be much appreciated.

We're using 7.1.9, but we're ready to up/downgrade versions to any 7.x if necessary.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 15, 2015 @ 15:45
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Kasper,

I just want to say if you see the requirements for the Umbraco 7 and which browsers that it would support then Umbraco 7 will support IE10+ try to see the documentation http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/installation/system-requirements#Umbracoxx (Bottom of the page)

/Dennis

• Kasper Kristensen 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 16, 2015 @ 10:04
    Kasper Kristensen

Hello Dennis

I know that it only supports IE10+, however it is impossible to get IE10+ on our customer's computers, which is why we're resorting to "forcing" umbraco to actually work with IE8. And no, they can't use any other browsers either. It's very unfortunate, but that's just how our situation is.

So i'm here asking if anyone has tried, succeeded, or just gotten somewhere, in trying to make it work, because i'm foreseeing a lot of work and modification to our umbraco installation.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 16, 2015 @ 10:20
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kasper

To be honest I think what you're facing is a losing battle and I don't think there is anyone who has the full overview of what needs to be done to get current v7 releases to work acceptable in IE8...So just when you think you nailed it something else will pop-up and you need to apply more fixes, which could overwrite other stuff that you had already fixed etc. - Maybe you even break default Umbraco functionality, which will give you even more gray hairs.

Currently Umbraco is using AngularJS 1.1.5 I think, which does in fact support IE8. But future releases will support 1.3 soonish as stated in this post about AngularJs 2.0 and Umbraco http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2014/11/4/umbraco-and-angular-20 - 2.0 is not untill 2-3 years in advance but it's mentioned that 1.3 support will be added as soon as possible.

I'm not saying that it can't be done but I think that it will require much more time than you probably have a hand. So you won't be able to upgrade to newer versions of v7 either.

Depending on the situation and what you need to do I'm thinking if it would instead be possible to downgrade to using Umbraco 6, which should be support in IE7+? You won't be able to make plugins the same way as with Umbraco 7 though but you can still use MVC as template engine etc.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft