Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Barg 358 posts 532 karma points
    Jan 27, 2015 @ 19:27
    Richard Barg

Unexpected Logout from Umbraco

System: Umbraco Version - 4.11.10 ,Windows Server 2008 8gb memory 4 Zeon 2.27Ghz processors service pack 1 64 bit OS , IIS version 7.5.7600.16385, SQL Server 2008 R2, Stacktrace - N/A

Our users are unpredictably, but regularly logged out of Umbraco. A grayed out screen then requests the user to login again.

Why is this happening? I am assuming it is because the users computer has a temporary disconnection from the Internet, even if measured in seconds. How often does Umbraco poll for this? Are there any settings w/in Umbraco that can reduce this problem.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 27, 2015 @ 19:51
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Richard,

What I think you are experience is that if you are inactive in the Umbraco Backoffice for e.g 20 minutes then you will be logged out, and ask to log back in again to renew your session.

If you see in your web config file when you will probably find item like this.

<appSettings>
        <!--
          Umbraco web.config configuration documentation can be found here:
          http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/using-umbraco/config-files/#webconfig
          -->
        <add key="umbracoTimeOutInMinutes" value="20" />
      </appSettings>

You could try to remove it or set the value to another value like 1 hour or something like that.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Jan 27, 2015 @ 19:51
    Sören Deger

Hi Richard,

I think you can change this in web.config:

<add key="umbracoTimeOutInMinutes" value="20" />

Maybe this help you.

Best,

Sören

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2015 @ 21:36
    Jan Skovgaard

@Richard: I first saw your other post where you asked me to have a look at this one - But Dennis and Sören already provided the answer that I would have given as well. It should work if you just enter a high number in the value attribute like 1000 for instance.

/Jan

Jan 29, 2015 @ 17:56
    Richard Barg

My developer made the following comments to me. (I am not a developer). Please feel free to comment on his observations.

He believes this problem has other causes:

'umbracoTimeOutInMinutes' has been since the beginning of our implementation of Umbraco to 1240 minutes and only seems to effect the total session time. It does nothing about the keep-alive Ajax call (http://xxx/umbraco/webservices/legacyAjaxCalls.asmx/GetSecondsBeforeUserLogout) which fires off every ~10 seconds. If this is interrupted it seems to log you out:

If you have a service interruption (network) even for a split second at that moment the GetSecondsBeforeUserLogout is fired off, you potentially will be logged out. Not sure if this will log you out if it fails one time or it takes more than one failure to receive the GetSecondsBeforeUserLogout on the server end. Even on a high speed Comcast or Google fiber I see network slow downs or interruption for a few seconds. We have had this problems (more or less - but more recently on 4.11.10) on all versions (3.x - 4.11) of Umbraco going back to 7 years so it's not new.

I have spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out why this may happen. There is a Ajax call to GetSecondsBeforeUserLogout which returns the amount of time left before logout and I can force the popup to happen which asks for password only if this value <=0 which just does not seem to happen (after logging in its a very high value ~ 20 hrs). The only way I can see it happening is if you logout in one window or login as another user and that's unlikely. Incidently the keepalive Ajax call happens every 10 seconds and call the database from the server each time which means if you have multiple windows open you maybe have a db call every couple of seconds; very inefficient.

Jan 29, 2015 @ 20:10
    Richard Barg

In further discussions with my developer, he feels there is a bug in Umbraco which is causing sporadic logouts. The happens despite persistent connections to the Internet and despite the correct setting of the parameter 'umbracoTimeOutInMinutes'

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft