Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Lauer 5 posts 25 karma points
    Feb 19, 2015 @ 23:24
    Dan Lauer

Unable to edit Raw HTML on a Page within Content Editor

I just started a new job and used Umbraco at my previous job and never ran into this error.

I need to do some simple text formatting, no need to use style sheets, just adding on a couple items of text a new font color and font size. I did not set-up Umbraco and it looks like it was set-up on Umbraco 4, from about 2011.

I am able to see the HTML, or source code button, but when I go into the code, add in my font formatting, and click update, it removes the formatting and does NOT keep my changes. I copied my code to notepad and the code there and my formatting is good, but Umbraco will not let me save those changes. Please help!

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Feb 20, 2015 @ 01:06
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the best community in the world.

Umbraco makes changes to html before sending, it removes some tags and add some.

Look here :

https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/customizing-the-wysiwyg-rich-text-editor-(tinymce)/allow-any-markup-in-the-tinymce-editor

https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/customizing-the-wysiwyg-rich-text-editor-(tinymce)/how-to-add-extra-html-functionality-to-tinymce

You can add some extra functionality to the rte.

Thanks,

Alexander

Feb 20, 2015 @ 15:08
    Dan Lauer

Thanks Alexander! This is very helpful. This maybe a very stupid questions, but, off the first link, the step below, where do I even access that?

Once you are certain that you want to allow all markup in the TinyMCE editor, follow these steps.  They have been written for version 4.0.2 of Umbraco:

1. Locate the configuration file umbracoSettings.config.  It may be in the /config directory.  Using an editor, turn off Tidy:

<TidyEditorContent>False</TidyEditorContent>

2. Locate the tinyMceConfig.config file.  Change the Valid Elements tag to allow for any markup:

<validElements><![CDATA[*[*]]]></validElements>

3. Touch the web.config.  Windows does not have the handy 'nix "touch" command, therefore, to accomplish this, open the web.config file, add a space between any tags, and save the file.  This will queue Umbraco to reload it's configuration. 

Feb 20, 2015 @ 17:06
    Dan Lauer

So reviewing more of the instructions above, as well as looking at the Developer section of my Umbraco instance., I can't find where to locate the umbracosettings.config. file. This site was created a number of years ago on Umbraco 4 in 2011, not sure where to go from here? But, I do understand the 3 steps above. Thanks, DL.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Feb 20, 2015 @ 19:52
    Amir Khan

Hey Dan, you're going to need access to the file system via FTP or otherwise to make those updates. There are some hacks to get around it, like pasting the code into the Razor or XSLT for a Macro, then inserting the macro, but none of them great and certainly not scalable.

Any chance you can get FTP or Remote Desktop access to the server?

-Amir

Feb 20, 2015 @ 20:23
    Dan Lauer

Thanks Amir. I will have to check. I have only been here at my new company for a week and they use Umbraco, but it was set-up by an outside organization a while ago.

Not sure anyone will be able to get me access to the server through FTP or otherwise. I might have to go the Macro route, but it sounds like that is not really a good work-around.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Feb 20, 2015 @ 20:26
    Amir Khan

It isn't, more of an "in a pinch if you must" kind of thing.

-Amir

Feb 20, 2015 @ 20:31
    Dan Lauer

Thanks Amir. I apprecaite it! My thought was that it was going to be on some config. files that I didn't have any direct access to, and because the sit is a few years old and set-up and initiall built by a third party, I might be out of luck.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft