Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Jan 12, 2010 @ 13:15
    Dan

HTML view suddenly not working!

Hi,

Suddenly the HTML view of the rich text editor isn't working.  Clicking the HTML button from TinyMCE causes the pop-up to fire, but in firefox it just appears blank, in IE8 I get a generic "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" message.

The only thing I can think of that's changed is that I've upgraded to the latest version of Contour - but how would that affect anything?

Can anyone recommend anything to get this working again?

Thanks all

Jan 12, 2010 @ 18:41
    Dan

Version 4.0.3 by the way.

Is there a particular .dll I can re-upload to try to fix this or is it a case of re-installing the whole system?

Jan 14, 2010 @ 13:57
    Dan

Sorry to bump this, but I'm getting some real grief now from the client about this.  Do I just re-install the whole of umbraco and hope for the best?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 21:35
    Douglas Robar

If I were to guess, I would double-check the file permissions, particularly on the /umbraco_client folder and files. I suspect at least one file is not being read successfully. You will (probably) be able to find the offending file(s) by using Firebug or Fiddler to determine which requests are not succeeding.

If it isn't a file permission problem, then perhaps a file has become corrupt or was accidentially deleted. I would install a clean 4.0.3 installation and then use something like WinDiff to compare the folders and files between your fresh installation and your live installation, looking for files that only exist in the clean installation (shouldn't be any) or are different (lots of config files will be different so be sure to manually compare each file's content before overwriting a file and possibly making things worse).

Let us know what you find out!

cheers,
    doug.

Jan 15, 2010 @ 17:53
    Dan

Thanks for the reply Doug - could you explain how to check this with Firebug?  I've checked on the server and it seems that all users have full permissions to that folder, so it doesn't sound like that's the problem though :(

Jan 15, 2010 @ 18:31
    Dan

Just to add...

Looking at the non-working site, it seems to not be able to load:

http://www.example.com/umbraco_client/tinymce3/themes/umbraco/source_editor.htm (I get 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage' in IE, and a blank page [view source is blank also] in Firefox).

However, if I try a working Umbraco installation, loading that page in firefox is blank but viewing source shows some HTML.  I've tried re-uploading the code for this page from the working site to the not-working site, and no joy.  I've tried copying over the entire 'umbraco_client > tinymce3 > themes > umbraco' folder from the working site to the non-working site and still the same.  I just don't understand how it won't load an HTML page?  Something is really really odd.

Jan 15, 2010 @ 19:38
    Dan

To add a bit more detail, I've done some tests and I can view the file here no problem - it renders in the browser:

http://www.example.com/umbraco_client/tinymce3/tiny_mce.js

I then generated a test HTML file and uploaded it into the 'themes' folder:

http://www.example.com/umbraco_client/tinymce3/themes/test.htm. ; This doesn't show anything.  I've since tried a few other combinations and it appears that nothing will load in either of the following two folders:

http://www.example.com/umbraco_client/tinymce3/themes/
    http://www.example.com/umbraco_client/tinymce3/plugins/

I've checked permissions and they are set to full for every account in IIS.  I've tried re-uploading the whole tinymce3 folder to no avail.

Can anyone see any reason why or how this could be happening?  I'm totally baffled.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jan 15, 2010 @ 21:08
    Douglas Robar

Very peculiar, which makes me think all the more that it is file permission related... they give THE weirdest errors and are hard to track down.

What OS is your IIS running on? If IIS6 or IIS7 (anything newer than WinXP but not Win2008R2) you should set the owner of the site's application pool to Full Control for the entire site (once it is working we can remove excess permissions). On IIS6 and IIS7 the default app pool identity is NETWORK SERVICE unless you've specifically changed it, not any of the IIS users. If you've got XP (IIS5.x) then it would be the ASPNET user I believe. If Win2008R2 (IIS 7.5) then you'll have to look at the app pool itself because the default is hard to guess.

As for using firebug or fiddler... you load the application, clear your browser's cache, and browse to the page that doesn't display properly. In firebug you want to open the 'Net' tab and then look at all the requested files. One of them is probably colored red or has a 404 or 501 or other status code. That's the file you want to look more closely at... especially its file permissions.

If you can't get it resolved, perhaps I could give it a look via remote desktop? If that would be helpful just drop me a note through my website... www.percipientstudios.com

cheers,
    doug.

Jan 19, 2010 @ 11:04
    Dan

Hi Doug,

I mailed yesterday to see if you could still have a quick look at this for me - did my message get through?  I appreciate you're probably mega-busy at the moment, but I really do need to find an urgent solution to this.  If you're not available, would you be able to recommend a freelancer who could help?  I don't mind paying for assistance at all - I just need to resolve this urgently as my client is running out of patience.

Thanks again

Jan 19, 2010 @ 18:18
    Dan

Hi all,

It looks like I'm going to need to re-install Umbraco for this site, and having checked permissions, I just can't get this to work.

I image this will be a massive can of worms, but maybe someone can assure me otherwise...  Basically, the site on which this problem is occuring now has over 6000 nodes of content (media items, content nodes, macros etc).  It has several packages installed, including Contour, as well as custom macros, data types etc.  How best can I re-install this content on a clean installation of Umbraco?  Is it even feasible to do this or would it be a nightmare?

I'm thinking somehow I can create a whole new domain, copy certain folders across from the current one (for the media items etc) then point the new installation at the current database (or copy the database too and use the current one for back-up - probably best).

Is this crazy or has anyone done it with success?

Thanks

Jan 24, 2010 @ 19:32
    Dan

A very generous Doug Robar kindly looked into this for me over the weekend and found some irregularities in the processing of static html files on the host server.  So a server problem not an Umbraco problem as far as I can tell.  Massive thanks to Doug for pointing me in the right direction!

• Nate 143 posts 184 karma points
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 23:24
    Nate

Can you be any more specific?  I have the same problem :(.

• Jon Cuthbert 84 posts 173 karma points
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 18:01
    Jon Cuthbert

I'm also having the exact same issue.

Dan, can you explain what irregularities you found in the processing of static html?

Nate, were you able to solve the problem?

Thanks

• Profiterole 232 posts 264 karma points
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 20:19
    Profiterole

Hi, I had a problem like this. html files were mapped by IIS/ISAPI to .NET, so Umbraco tried to undestant what to do. In web.config, in reservepath, try to include ~/umbraco_client/

For me it worked.

• Elias 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 05, 2011 @ 11:30
    Elias

Hi, I am having this exact same issue. Could someone explain how I can fix this? I can't edit any of the HTML a blank window just appears!

Thanks.

• Svavar Svavarsson 2 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 30, 2012 @ 14:40
    Svavar Svavarsson

I fixed this by turning off static content compression in IIS.

• Robert Godino 40 posts 129 karma points
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 00:13
    Robert Godino

Hi Douglas,

You fixed up an Umbraco issue with the html editor not working correctly on this forum post <http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/6376-HTML-view-suddenly-not-working!?p=0>;

Apparently, you found some irregularities in the processing of static html files on the host server.  So a server problem not an Umbraco problem.

Can you please explain to me how you fixed this, as the person who posted the issue never explained how it was fixed.

Thanks, Robert

• alan 6 posts 25 karma points
    Mar 10, 2015 @ 13:16
    alan

I have just had this problem.

Fixed it by checking what user IIS was using and going to the security settings for the site folder and choosing advanced security settings then changing the permissions for the user: "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" (propagating the permissions through all the files in the website folder)

This fixed the problem for me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft