Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 07:27
    Sören Deger

Error if starting umbraco from source

Hi all,

I have fork the umbraco dev 7 branch, created a new own branch, run build.bat and created the project map in visual studio. Now, if I start the Umbraco.Web.UI project I get this error in frontend:

enter image description here

Any ideas?

Best, Sören

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 08:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sören

Is it because you want to work on the frontend? Because then I think you should run the grunt build script from within the umbraco.web.ui.client perhaps?

/Jan

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 08:35
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Make sure to run build\build.bat first.

Jun 26, 2015 @ 08:58
    Sören Deger

Hi Jan,

yes, I will update the german language file and need the frontend to check everything. Must I run the gruntFile.js or another script? Can you explain me, how I can run this script? Sorry, but grunt is very new for me.

@Sebastiaan: Of course, run of build\build.bat was my first step before I have open the project map in Visual Studio. Though the error occurs.

Best, Sören

Jun 26, 2015 @ 10:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sören

Ok, I guess what Sebastiaan suggests above should work for the entire project. Not sure if you'll be able to see the translations take effect by only building the client (lack of project overview on my behalf) - However I have been working a bit on fixing a minor thing (still in progress) in regards to the "Save and publish" button and the options that are hidden behind the caret icon.

Therefore I know how this part of the project is being build - The steps you need to follow

1: If you don't have nodejs installed then go get it from https://nodejs.org/ and install it

2: Open a command prompt from the root of the \Umbraco-CMS\src\Umbraco.Web.UI.Client folder and then run the command npm install

This will make sure to install all the needed node modules in order to build things with grunt - Leave the command prompt window open

3: Ok, before you can build the solution you will of course also need to install grunt and grunt-cli - So in your command prompt you need to enter this command in order to install grunt npm install grunt --save-dev

To install grunt-cli you need to write the command npm install -g grunt-cli

4: If everything has installed succesfully you should now be able to run the grunt task, which will build and open the backoffice UI

In the gruntfile.js you can see the different tasks that you can use - By just using "grunt" in the command line the default task will run. But you could also run "grunt vs" to have the watch task running so you don't need to run the "grunt" command manually each time you want to see changes. But you will still need to refresh the browser window however.

I hope this helps!

/Jan

Jun 26, 2015 @ 10:32
    Jan Skovgaard

If you're new to grunt btw then it might be worth reading Chris Coyiers article about it here http://24ways.org/2013/grunt-is-not-weird-and-hard/ btw.

Jun 26, 2015 @ 11:44
    Sören Deger

Hi Jan,

thank you very much for this great and very useful description :-) Step 1 to 3 works without errors. But on step 4 I get this message at last in the output frame and fails:

Running "bower-install-simple:dev" (bower-install-simple) task
    Executing Bower (Command: install)
    bower typeahead.js#~0.10.5      ENOGIT git is not installed or not in the PATH
    Warning: Task "bower-install-simple:dev" failed. Use --force to continue.

Aborted due to warnings.

Any ideas?

Best, Sören

Jun 26, 2015 @ 11:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Thanks for the elaborate reply Jan! One thing to note though: the build.bat file is made so that nobody ever should have to do this!

@Sören do you see any errors when build.bat is running? For the error above you could run build\InstallGit.cmd

Jun 26, 2015 @ 11:55
    Sören Deger

Hi Jan,

now it works :-) I must added path variable for git in the system variables:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20666989/bower-enogit-git-is-not-installed-or-not-in-the-path

Thank you for the great support! #H5YR!

Cheers,

Sören

Jun 26, 2015 @ 11:56
    Sören Deger

Hi Jan,

maybe you should add your very detailed description above to the documentations on our ;-) I think this could be a great effort for the community.

Cheers, Sören

Jun 26, 2015 @ 12:00
    Sebastiaan Janssen

As great as this description is, nobody should have to follow those huge setup steps, again, that's what build.bat is for. If that one isn't working then we need to fix that instead. Unfortunately I don't know what part of it isn't working for you else we could find a way to fix it.

Let me know if you want to try and reproduce it. If it was just the git thing then maybe you answered "no" to the question where it asked Do you want to install Git through Chocolatey [y/n]??

Jun 26, 2015 @ 12:04
    Jan Skovgaard

@Sebastiaan - Aaah yes, you're of course right! But it's been a while since I digged around the source code....So totally forgot - But seems like Sören had some issues using it - Besides...if you're working on the UI it's not a nice workflow to have to run the build.bat each time you want to test a code change in the UI - Then making use of grunt and the watch task for instance is really really nice! :)

@Sören: Happy I could assist you - Forgot about the git path issues, but you managed to figure it out before I had a chance to react :D - I'll see if I can write something up about it - Perhaps it would be nice to have more detailed article about when and why depending on what one wants to do in the source code of Umbraco.

/Jan

Jun 26, 2015 @ 12:04
    Sören Deger

Hi Sebastiaan, ok, I understand. I will try and reproduce it next week and will give you feedback!

Cheers,

Sören

Jun 26, 2015 @ 12:06
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I absolutely do agree that there needs to be a guide for people who want to use grunt and the workflow that comes with it! But not as part of the "get going" documentation, should be in a different section. :)

Jun 26, 2015 @ 12:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Yup, I would never advice anyone to do this approach - Just had it fresh in memory and knew it workd - And of course the build.bat should be fixed so it's working.

@Sebastiaan: But would it be helpful to have this guide somewhere? Perhaps as a blogpost? Might need to be very clear about the scope of how and when to go down this route if ever then? You should go drink beer and be offline btw - Go to Roskilde already and enjoy your well-deserved time off! ;-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft