Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kalanit 5 posts 25 karma points
    Feb 05, 2010 @ 16:34
    Kalanit

Proctecting pages w/ Public Access = "error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified"

The background:

We've been working on a client site on a dev server using 4.0.2.1 for several months. Earlier this week, we moved the site to a production server and after a few hiccups have been up and running ever since. So far, the only problem is that the sections of the site that are protected with "Public Access" have been returning the "Server Error in '/' Application" error both when I try to access them with the correct username and password and when I try to edit their access through the admin. I haven't been able to duplicate this on the dev server. I've compared the web.config files and the only differences are the umbracoDbDSN keys, as they should be.All other areas can be edited successfully.

I appreciate any help or insight that anyone may be able to give. My team is stumped.

My login template is identical on the 2 servers:

<div class="loginCenter">
    <form runat="server">
    <asp:LoginView ID="LoginView1" runat="server">
    <LoggedInTemplate>
    Welcome
    <asp:LoginName ID="LoginName1" runat="server" />
    <br />
    <a href="#">Continue...</a>
    </LoggedInTemplate>
    <AnonymousTemplate>
    <h2>Log In</h2>
    <asp:Login ID="Login1" runat="server">
    <LayoutTemplate>
    <asp:Label ID="UserNameLabel" runat="server" AssociatedControlID="UserName" class="block">User Name:</asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="UserName" runat="server" class="text"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="UserNameRequired" runat="server" ControlToValidate="UserName" ErrorMessage="User Name is required." ToolTip="User Name is required." ValidationGroup="ctl00$Login1">*</asp:RequiredFieldValidator>
    <br /><br /><br />
    <asp:Label ID="PasswordLabel" runat="server" AssociatedControlID="Password" class="block">Password:</asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="Password" runat="server" TextMode="Password" class="text"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="PasswordRequired" runat="server" ControlToValidate="Password" ErrorMessage="Password is required." ToolTip="Password is required." ValidationGroup="ctl00$Login1">*</asp:RequiredFieldValidator>
    <br />
    <asp:CheckBox ID="RememberMe" runat="server" Text=" Remember Me" /><br /><br />
    <asp:Button ID="LoginButton" runat="server" CommandName="Login" Text="Log In" ValidationGroup="ctl00$Login1" />
    <br />
    <asp:Literal ID="FailureText" runat="server" EnableViewState="False"></asp:Literal>
    </LayoutTemplate>
    </asp:Login>
    </AnonymousTemplate>
    </asp:LoginView>
    </form>
    </div><!-- end loginCenter -->

And here is the error that I'm getting. I get this both when I attempt to access the protected sections of the front end as well as when I attempt click  "Public Access" on the backend on the already protected sections.

Server Error in '/' Application.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing
    a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not
    accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL
    Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL
    Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance
    Specified)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the
    error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException:
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or
    was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL
    Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +4846887
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +194
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject) +4860189
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject) +90
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart) +376
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +221
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +189
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +4861315
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +31
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) +433
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +499
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +65
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +117
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +122
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(HttpContext context, Boolean revertImpersonate) +87
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +221
    System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider.GetRolesForUser(String username) +760
    System.Web.Security.RolePrincipal.GetRoles() +158
    System.Web.Security.Roles.GetRolesForUser(String username) +365
    System.Web.Security.Roles.GetRolesForUser() +14
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Access.HasAccces(Int32 documentId, Object memberId) +96
    umbraco.requestHandler..ctor(XmlDocument _umbracoContent, String url) +3762
    umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) +903
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
    System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
    System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +8698174
    System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +31
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +282
  • Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Feb 05, 2010 @ 17:31
    Chris Koiak

Do you have any other connection strings in your web.config?

Maybe in the standard connectionStrings section used by your membershipProvider?

Feb 05, 2010 @ 19:16
    Kalanit

Thanks so much for responding!

Only, this one

<sessionState mode="InProc" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes" cookieless="false" timeout="20"/>

And is the same in both environements. My membership provider section is also identical in both envs.

<!-- Membership Provider -->
            <membership defaultProvider="UmbracoMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
                <providers>
                    <clear/>
                    <add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="TestType"/>
                    <add name="AspNetSqlMemberShipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"/>
                    <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"/>
                </providers>
            </membership>
    Feb 08, 2010 @ 22:04
    Kalanit

Does anyone have any ideas? I've deleted the previously protected pages, moved the production db to another server, checked for locks and blocks and still nothing.

I'm at a complete loss.

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Feb 09, 2010 @ 10:05
    Chris Koiak

Do you use the standard umbraco members or do you have your own membership tables?

If the former, try removing the "AspNetSqlMemberShipProvider" line from your config.

Feb 09, 2010 @ 20:25
    Kalanit

Nope, no dice.

I'm thinking that something must be corrupt. We also deleted the umbraco.config file to try to clear the cache. We're still getting the issue.

Thoughts?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft