Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

  • Stu Lock 2 posts 72 karma points
    Oct 09, 2015 @ 12:45
    Stu Lock

    Install page displays after publish (site was live before)


    We have a busy site (~5k users per hour) that has been running fine for the last few months until yesterday morning when the client tried to publish an update via the CMS and the Save and Publish process just hung.

    We started to look in to why that may be the case and half the site content disappeared and the site was left looking very bare. We tried to republish the entire site using the /dialogs/republish.aspx screen but shortly after running this the site only displayed the Install screen as if Umbraco had not been set up. I checked the database connectivity and this was fine. I checked for the umbracoConfigurationStatus value - this was 7.2.7. We tried re-publishing but this did not work the first few times.

    The site is running in a failover configuration on Azure and the secondary site was also showing the Install screen - the only common factor being the database.

    After much stress and recovered backups we set up a third copy of the site as a stand alone snapshot of the last working copy of the site and database and did the republish content. The third site worked OK but at this point we realised we had the live servers listed in the

    So after about 3 hours of downtime the primary site came back online (probably due to the refresh of the third system mentioned above).

    Has anybody come across this error before and can they point me in the right direction to stop it from happening again?

    We have an extremely anxious client who is building many micro-sites in to the Umbraco installation and they have pulled any further development until we can identify what the issue is.

    I have checked the Azure event log and there is nothing unusual in there apart from a few exceptions from the UrlTrackerRepository plugin.

    I'd be grateful for any help on this as the project is now stalled until an explanation can be found.


  • Adam 1 post 71 karma points
    Sep 29, 2016 @ 12:10

    Did you ever find the issue as we just encountered the same and of course our client is just as nervous.

  • Stu Lock 2 posts 72 karma points
    Sep 29, 2016 @ 12:41
    Stu Lock


    We didn't ever get to the bottom of how it happened and it hasn't happened again since.

    The site became live again once we published from another (working) instance of the site and the broken server was listed in the "servers" section of the /Config/umbracoSettings.config file.

    The republish appeared to bring the site back to life - although we are not 100% certain this was the fix - it may have just have been a coincidence.

    Let me know if this works for you.


Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: