Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Palenshus 39 posts 63 karma points
    Mar 24, 2010 @ 22:18
    Craig Palenshus

Login control only half recognizes member

Using v 4.0.2.1 with version 1.0 of umbraco Member Controls package.

The login control works fine until you browse away from the site and try to go back to the password protected page. The site still shows the logged in message (my logged on name and a log out link) in my site header via the macro added to the masterpage, but the password protected page always shows the login screen as if it needs to reauthenticate that I have access. However, because the site thinks I'm still logged in, the "PanelSignIn" panel doesn't show, instead it is showing the "PanelSignOut" panel.

The easy solution for me is to simply log out which switches the state of the login page to show the PanelSignIn panel, but that is not at all how a user would expect it to work.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Mar 24, 2010 @ 23:08
    skiltz

I would suggest using the the built in ASP.net Login controls to manage permission within the site.  You could then use <asp:loginview to display different headers etc based on if they are logged in or not.

• Josh Reid 182 posts 258 karma points
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 02:53
    Josh Reid

I recently had some issues with the 'member controls' doing the same thing, and I agree with Skiltz...

Although the default markup isn't great, you can easily modify the output of the <asp:login to display things as you want.

• Craig Palenshus 39 posts 63 karma points
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 13:44
    Craig Palenshus

If we use asp.net membership instead of umbraco member controls, won't we lose the abililty to manage members inside the CMS?

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 19:25
    skiltz

NO.  All works excatly the same.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft