Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Foley 77 posts 62 karma points
    Apr 23, 2010 @ 05:59
    Paul Foley

Templates & XSLT files updating in cache

Hey all,

We are having some trouble with a couple of our Umbraco sites we have recently been developing for clients.

When updating templates or xslt files the changes we make are not taking effect on the live page until the app pool for the site has been recycled.

The changes are being saved and loaded correctly when we edit the files (we can see the changes are being saved to the files on the server)

Interestingly this doesn’t happen all the time. We can be working on a site then all of a sudden the cache doesn’t update.

We have also tried deleting the umbraco.config in the /data folder. However after deleting that file and recycling the app pool the site comes back with the same content.

We did note that if the case of the master page file on the template is changed it is reverted back to lowercase when saved. This normally wouldn't be an issue but because we are loading the site content off a samba share incorrect case sensitivity can be an issue when requesting files. This can be got around by making sure that the .master of the default.master in /umbraco/masterpages/default.master is correct.

A bit of background on our hosting; Our sites are load balanced over two web nodes and Umbraco is configured to use distributed calls.

Normally this wouldn’t be an issue if it were just one site that isn’t working. but seeing as we now have 3-4 displaying these issues it's starting to become a concern. (bearing in mind we have nearly 50 Umbraco sites which don't exhibit these issues)

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions on where we can look to try and solve this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

• Paul Foley 77 posts 62 karma points
    Apr 23, 2010 @ 06:21
    Paul Foley

Oh forgot to mention that while we are having issues with template and XSLT files, content and CSS file changes are all working just fine.

• Frank Kremers 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 12, 2013 @ 16:58
    Frank Kremers

Hello guys,

Did you solve this problem? Im facing it too.

bye

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Nov 12, 2013 @ 17:39
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Paul/Frank

I wasn't aware it was a problem with templates (masterpages), but we've always found you have to re-cycle to see XSLT changes.

As far as i'm aware any cached macro will require you to kick the install and I dont think there's any way around it, short of turning the caching off. Athough depending on the complexity of your site I wouldnt recommend doing it.

On the other hand we've not noticed any issues with MVC, although in theory because MacroScripts can also be cached, you'd probably face the same problem.

Regards

Martin.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft