Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Cameron 6 posts 25 karma points
    May 03, 2010 @ 21:48
    Andrew Cameron

Help with troubleshooting HTML table problem

Hello, I am new to Umbraco but I hope someone can help.

I am having problems saving and/or publishing a page with an HTML table. I am editing the HTML of the page directly and copying and pasting table code from another page where it works. I then modify the table content, add some rows, maybe a column, change the data, etc. Usually I can save and publish the page at least once. However when I try to make further edits I cannot save or publish the page. IE8 displays the error as "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Firefox says "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading". I have to close the Umbraco window entirely, or click over to another section like Media and then back to Content in order to work with Umbraco again.

If I remove the table entirely from the page I can save it and publish it again. Sometimes I can even get the table code back in again for one save, but usually not at all. I'm sorry I can't be more precise but I can't determine an exact series of steps to get the error to occur. It seems like saving and publishing with the table is "fragile" but I can't reproduce the error with an exact set of steps yet.

The Umbraco site is located at a hosting provider so I don't have access to the logs. However, if it would help track this down I would like to try asking them for information from the logs - what log names would I ask for?

The hosting provider is running Umbraco 4.0.2.1. I know that 4.0.3 is the latest version.

Any advice for how I can troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    May 14, 2010 @ 01:34
    Chris Dunn

Andrew,

I assume all of your other pages are displaying properly?  Try making a copy of the node that works (with the table) and make your edits there and see if the problem exists for that node.  I wonder if your node was corrupted somehow.

Since you don't have access to the server event log, you can always check the umbracoLogs to see if anything stands out there.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/log-manager

-Chris

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 14, 2010 @ 09:09
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Very strange. It sounds a lot like the hosting service doesn't really have enough CPU power/memory to handle the properties you're trying to fill, is it a really large table? In addition to the log-manager mentioned by Chris, also try installing ELMAH to see if there are exceptions being thrown.

• Sjors Pals 617 posts 270 karma points
    May 14, 2010 @ 10:22
    Sjors Pals

Can you copy paste your code on pastebin? So other people can try to publish the same data in a Umbraco page to see or it's working on other environments.

May 26, 2010 @ 18:30
    Andrew Cameron

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry for the delayed response as I hadn't realized these replies were here. The problem is still ongoing and I am working with the hosting provider. I will provide them a link to this thread and ask about the log manager and ELMAH.

In the meantime here is a bit more description. I have an HTML table I want to display on 2 different pages. On one page it is working. The second page has some content and I planned to put the table at the end of the page. I go into the HTML of the first page and copy the entire table code block, go to the 2nd page and paste in the code block at the end of the page. I try to save the 2nd page and it fails to save.

I tried creating a new blank page, call this the 3rd page. I put in the table code from the 1st page, and saved it just fine. I then tried to copy the content from the 2nd page into the 3rd page above the table. Trying to save that combination failed also. So perhaps the problem occurs only when the table is combined with other content of a particular type in a single page.

There are some special characters involved here, like the dollar sign, the percent sign, and the section symbol, in both the table itself and in the page content on the 2nd page. At one point I got the correct HTML code representations of those special characters and made sure to use those. But after saving the page I notice that even going back into HTML view I see the symbols displayed and not the HTML code representation. I don't know enough about Umbraco to know if this is normal, or a controllable setting, or a sign of a problem.

I will attempt to post - in a separate post after this - the table code that I was trying to copy and paste as I described in my 2nd and 3rd paragraph.

May 26, 2010 @ 18:33
    Andrew Cameron

The table I am trying to add to another page - I've put on pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/MCjgNA8Z
    Thanks again for your help.

Jun 04, 2010 @ 20:10
    Andrew Cameron

This issue is resolved. We traced the problem to a firewall identifying and dropping what it considered a SQL attack string. I don't understand what was different about saving pages with tables because we didn't have the problem occur on pages without tables, though.

Thanks again for the advice.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft