Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bruce Clark 56 posts 80 karma points
    May 12, 2010 @ 19:44
    Bruce Clark

Different sub domains showing different content, same files, same db. Caching issue? Very confusing.

Hi there, Thanks in advance for the help, this is a bit confusing for me.

Here's the situation, I have two sub domains both pointing to a dev umbraco site I'mw working on. Example:

http://testing-1234.devsite-client.com

http://testing-client-1234.devsite-client.com

Normally I would have these both be seperate sets of files pointing at the same DB. However, just to show the client where the site was at I pointed their client subdomain to the same folder containing the site I was working on. Basically, two domains, one set of files/db.

Now, here's the problem. I update a page on the site from one domain and the change can't be seen on the other domain. The admin shows the same thing for both domains but the pages themselves do not. I've disabled caching in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file (XmlCacheEnabled & ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache) just for testing. Still, even with those turned off, the only thing that fixes the content sync between the domains is opening and saving the web.config.

Is there some sort of caching going on that I am not aware of maybe? I'm confused what could be causing this.

Thanks for your help everyone,

Bruce

May 13, 2010 @ 00:35
    Bruce Clark

Any ideas? Just hoping to learn more about caching or at least understand why this would be happening.

• Steen Tøttrup 191 posts 291 karma points c-trib
    May 13, 2010 @ 11:34
    Steen Tøttrup

Same files/same db, but same site in the iis ?

May 13, 2010 @ 17:47
    Bruce Clark

Yes, different IIS site.

Which means somehow, the domain is altering how the content shows up when published.

• Jeff Grine 149 posts 189 karma points
    May 13, 2010 @ 17:58
    Jeff Grine

Any reason you need to have a separate site in IIS? Adding the second subdomain as another binding in the same site might simplify your troubleshooting.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 13, 2010 @ 18:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You don't need to seperate the sites in IIS, just add a binding for all of the domains on the same IIS site.

Still, it's very strange that the umbraco.config would not update for one subdomain, but did for another... I have no idea what's going on here. On tip: instead of recylcing the app pool, you could probably get away with just right-clicking the "Content" node and choosing "Republish entire site". This will cause the umbraco.config to be recreated (provided that you re-enable the caches that you've mentioned!).

Have a look at your macro's as well, they might be cached. Still wouldn't make sense that the cache only shows on one page.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of "load balancing" problem since you're using two IIS sites. Maybe IIS is caching something as well... Try merging them into one site, it's all you need.

• Steen Tøttrup 191 posts 291 karma points c-trib
    May 13, 2010 @ 20:08
    Steen Tøttrup

Well, in-memory caching, which is used alot in Umbraco, is per IIS site, so changing something on one site, only flushes cached content on the site, no flushing will happen on the other site even though it's the same files and same db, so any content that should have be flushed isn't.

regards,

Steen

May 13, 2010 @ 23:30
    Bruce Clark

Great! This is some great info. I'll move over to having the domain in the bindings. We'll see if that fixes this issue for now.

• Eran Meir 401 posts 543 karma points
    Mar 20, 2011 @ 20:34
    Eran Meir

i'm having the same problem, Bruce did you manage to work this out?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft