Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ryan lin 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jul 30, 2010 @ 10:38
    ryan lin

localization for documenttype

I am wondering if there is any way to localize document type itself?

For example, I wanna user1 in backend see chinese UI and user2 sees english UI according to there language setting.

Some one please give me some hints, thanks!

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 30, 2010 @ 10:56
    Ismail Mayat

Ryan,

Not ideal but we did demo recently and had separate tabs for each language and copy of fields in each tab.  You could then write code to show tab according to users language.  However you then have to do a lot of messing in templates as to which fields to show. As I said we only did this for demo to client who wanted multilingual site we did explain that this NOT the way todo multilingual sites however they like yourself also wanted localized document properties.

Regards

Ismail 

Jul 30, 2010 @ 11:10
    ryan lin

Ismail

Thanks for your quick reply, but I think you've misunderstood.

I didn't mean multilingual websites(frontend) , what I meant is the backend to be multilingual.

Yes there are backend localization xmls, but what about document type?

For example, there is a document type News, user1 logined in and sees it as "News", user2 (chinese) logined in and sees it as chinese localized of News.

Any suggestion?

Jul 30, 2010 @ 11:37
    Ismail Mayat

Ryan,

Think you may have misunderstood what i am saying lol.  So taking your example we have News you could create tabs with properties on it that are the same eg header and bodytext you have english tab that has those. Then you could create chinese tab and put header_cn and bodyText_cn and the desciptions of those are in chinese. Not sure how you would do doc type as chinese unless you have copies of doc types one in english and one in chinese you would still need to write code to show hide those doc types depending on user language.  Its not supported out of box and guess it would get very messy trying to implement something.

Regards

Ismail

Jul 30, 2010 @ 11:44
    ryan lin

I get one suggestion, support the name begin with #, if so, recognize it as a dictionary, then in backend, instead of displaying just name, go dictionary get the description.

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 11:39
    Jesper Ordrup

As I understand this it's a question about providing the right localization for the backend users. In effect the document property labels should be localizable?

I would love to see localization of document property labels. Is it possible?

/Jesper

Aug 26, 2010 @ 14:07
    Ismail Mayat

Jesper,

Might be worth getting into codeplex and garner some votes

Regards

Ismail

Aug 26, 2010 @ 14:20
    Jesper Ordrup

Hi Ismail,

Sure will if ppl think its a general good idea.  I would love to hear if it's something ppl want (or if someone has already done this).

Going to codeplex before that will only ensure a percentage of the ppl around in the forums.

Best

Jesper

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 14:27
    Michael Latouche

I'm in :-)

Aug 26, 2010 @ 14:55
    Ismail Mayat

We recently had potential pitch multilingual site and they wanted document property labels to be localised.

Regards

Ismail

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 14:57
    Niels Hartvig

It's already there and been like that for three years ;-)

Prefix names of properties or doctypes with a hash (#) and it'll look in dictionary. make sure locale of the user language and dictionary matches.

Aug 26, 2010 @ 15:21
    Jesper Ordrup

Darn :-)

I've been trying with updating the language files without any luck. Now that you mention it - I remember. The way it works is super. I must admit I didn't think it would work as the dictionary language usually is selected by which language is defined by hostname/structure. 

But you've been clever and it actually works in Umbraco backend as I hoped (language defined by users language setting).

It works. I just tried. - YAY.

Thanks (no codeplex this time)!!

/Jesper

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 15:27
    Jan Skovgaard

@Jesper

Could you perhaps be talked into making a wiki-post about how to do this then? :-)

/Jan

Aug 26, 2010 @ 15:31
    Jesper Ordrup

That would be the least I could do. I'll do just that later today!

/Jesper

Aug 26, 2010 @ 16:15
  • Ajmal 19 posts 51 karma points
    Dec 30, 2011 @ 10:58
    Ajmal

When i used it like # DictionaryItemName it worked . but when we create a node in the dropdown   Choose Document Type: it displayed Like [#Name].. any help plz ??

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft