Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ferdy Hoefakker 214 posts 248 karma points
    Sep 14, 2010 @ 14:45
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Multi site environment performance

I am currently doing a little research for the company I am working at. We have started using Umbraco earlier this year for testing purposes and everything seems really nice. Currently however, we are approaching the point where we need to determine how to set up everything to allow for a speedy deploying of sites.

In an ideal world, we would make a single Umbraco installation and host all our sites in that installation. Sadly however, we do not live in an ideal world. So I am tasked with finding out if it is at all possible.

I already know Umbraco does indeed allow multiple sites in a single install, but how will this affect performance? How many (decently sized) sites could one run on a single install before performance becomes an issue?

Are there any other issues one should be aware off? (I saw the post by Rick here: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/features/8796-Is-there-a-multi-site-version-of-Umbraco-similar-to-Joomla-Multi-site so I know several)

Thanks in advance.

-Ferdy

Sep 16, 2010 @ 11:53
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Is there no one that can give an answer here? :(

-Ferdy

Sep 20, 2010 @ 09:36
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Still would like an answer :(

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Sep 20, 2010 @ 10:17
    Rik Helsen

It does make things more complex, all macro's have to be written to work "from source", allowing you to specify where to start their queries on...

Keeping your datatypes and masterpages clean is do-able, because there you can work with "folders" and structure, but for macro's, dictionary items, javascript files and XSLT you cannot, in the end you'll have to think of some pretty good namings to keep this transparent.

If one goes down, all go down... if you ever need to deploy new stuff to one of the sites in the installation, one small error could take all the sites down...

Also there are things that you can't configure on a site-basis but only on Umbraco installation-basis (everything you do in the /config folder applies to all sites), user management doesn't get any easier...

Personnally I don't put multiple websites into one umbraco environment unless there is a very big and direct benefit (they need to query eachothers data, share users, one is a subdomain of another, ...) if there is no such benefit I see this as a hassle.

what benefits do you expect from running a lot of websites inside a single installation?

Sep 20, 2010 @ 15:47
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Mostly the fact that all our code will be in a single spot. Making maintenance and upgrading a lot faster as we only need to do it at a single place instead of dozens.

The fact that one thing can drag down every site in your install is quite scary though, and something we hadn't considderd yet. Anyway, that is exactly the reason I am posting here for answers. The concept seems great, but this single point makes it too much of a risk I think. Thanks for pointing it out Rik!

-Ferdy

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Sep 21, 2010 @ 11:56
    Rik Helsen

A good workflow and staging environment should help you prevent downtime due to deployments though...

• David 57 posts 80 karma points
    Aug 18, 2011 @ 15:29
    David

We currently have 350+ sites running on one installation of umbraco.  We had some performance issues with 4.0.3 of umbraco.  Once I upgraded things to the 4.7 codebase, all the issues we had went away.   Great work by the team to fix those issues.  The only caveate is when/if there is an issue all sites go down, but I've not encountered any issues with that since upgrading to 4.7.   Having one codebase for all is why we went down this road.  Updating 100's of installation's was not an option.  We have umbraco installed on one server and the database on another to lessen the load.  

Any other questions?

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Aug 18, 2011 @ 15:44
    Jesper Ordrup

One of my client runs 50+ sites from one installation. Loads of dynamic pages. No problems. Umbraco doesnt really care if it's 1 or 100 sites .. it's the total number of content items and visits that determind if you need more power or scaling.

In other words: 1 site with 10000 nodes / pages each = 100 sites with 100 pages each. Same same.
    (at least that's what I think - pls. correct me if wrong) 

Best
    Jesper  Ordrup

• Brett Spencer 88 posts 259 karma points
    Jun 14, 2016 @ 17:56
    Brett Spencer

I will be starting a new thread shortly... Architecture definitely gets tricky after a while.

Trying to keep it short...

In one instance with many sites you lose the ability to run sites under different application pools and take advantage of multi-processor capabilities.

Yes, if your site instance goes down, all sites go down. This is definitely more of an IIS thing though.

I always test in a Staging server and know of any issues before publishing to production.

I would say one negative is that when publishing a change to one site, you have to publish all at the same time.

That's about it... the benefits and savings in maintenance time far outweigh the few possible errors. This same scenario can happen with a hosting server as well, so it's not like it's a new thing.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft