Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christian Foged 37 posts 58 karma points
    Nov 12, 2010 @ 15:02
    Christian Foged

Experiences with MailChimp integration? How to...?

Hi there all Umbracians

A lot of people here are talking about Umbraco integration with MailChimp, which is great - since I'm both using Umbraco and Mailchimp.

I have some different scenarios for using MailChimp, but I'm not quite sure how to use them optimal.

1: Signing up for newsletters on a smaller website. 0 existing mail users in either mailchimp or Umbraco.
    What is the best way to go? To add them as Umbraco members, and synchronizing Umbraoc members to MailChimp? So all user data is in Umbraco and synced with mailchimp? If so - how to do this easiest?

...or to sign them up directly in MailChimp, and no Umbraco member? If so - how to do this easiest?

2: Signing up for newsletters on a larger website. 100.000 existing mail users in mailchimp, 0 in Umbraco

What is the best way to go? To import alle the MailChimp useres as Umbraco members, and synchronizing Umbraoc members to MailChimp onwards? So all user data is in Umbraco and synced with mailchimp? If so - how to do this easiest?

...or to sign them up directly in MailChimp, and no Umbraco member? If so - how to do this easiest?

Hoping for some good input :o)

/Christian

• KsuValk 32 posts 52 karma points
    Nov 12, 2010 @ 23:18
    KsuValk

I'll be interested to see responses from experienced users of both as well.

I would think you would NOT want to have to keep them in synch.  I mean, aside from the technical challenges, a member may or may not want to be on a mailing list right?  My approach might be to make it easy to enroll from many locations.  And, upon member login, look them up to see if they are enrolled in MailChimp and if not give them a gentle nudge.

Kevin

Nov 13, 2010 @ 09:27
    Christian Foged

The thing is I heard somewhere, that having 100.000+ members in Umbraco might not be the best idea, since that might affect performance?

/Christian

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Nov 17, 2010 @ 12:18
    Brendan Rice

I have some code at home that I will try wrap into a package if you help me test it, I will try get something together for the weekend?

Nov 17, 2010 @ 16:03
    Christian Foged

I'll be more that happy to test it for you :D

Just for info - I'm only a semi frontend guy, so won't be able to do any code, besides simple XSLT, HTML, CSS and so on.

Let me know

/Christian

Nov 22, 2010 @ 11:26
    Brendan Rice

Sorry I didn't get the chance to create/upload the package.  I can give you a few pointers in the mean time. From MailChimp you can generate forms that post to MailChimp servers and allow your users to do actions such as subscribe, this will probably be the easiest for you if you are a front end developer.

I will try get something together for you in the next week or two but a couple of projects landing have meant I am busy than I had first thought.

If you need a hand with anything let me know.

Nov 22, 2010 @ 11:32
    Christian Foged

Thanks for the reply anyway :o)

Allready using the forms from MailChimp - so well aware of that solution.And yup - very easy for a frontender :D

Would just like to merge Umbraco Member and MailChimp user, to make logins and stuff easier, wiothout multiple accounts in various systems.

/Christian

Nov 22, 2010 @ 12:45
    Brendan Rice

The package I had put together wouldn't do that for you, it was only a simple sign-up so don't think it would be much use.

If you are going down that route you really should look into using an API, the one I used was http://perceptivemcapi.codeplex.com/ it took a little while to get my head round it but it is very powerful and should be able to do what you want.  The documentation isn't bad with it and there is a sample test project to use as reference.

Hope this helps.

• Morten Henriksen 1 post 36 karma points
    Mar 09, 2012 @ 01:23
    Morten Henriksen

I've made a simple XSLT macro, its not as tidy as I wanted it since its from my development server - dont know if V5 supports xslt, so I might go razor on it some time. Search "mailchimp"

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft