Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eran Meir 401 posts 543 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 19:08
    Eran Meir

spam projects

i think that packages should be approved by admin/mvp before they're being published to prevent spam/incomplete projects that says "coming soon"
    what do you think?

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 19:25
    Daniel Bardi

I think projects that have now description should not be allowed..

If a project doesn't get a package added to it within X days then it should be removed.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 21:59
    Lee Kelleher

... or based on karma points? Keep it low to account for new community members, say 10 karma points?

Not sure what the karma limits are for unlocking other features - think it's something between 40 and 70 points to up-vote, so seems logical to set a threshold on publishing a project/package.

Cheers, Lee.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:03
    Jan Skovgaard

+1 for Lee's suggestion.

When one has earned 10 karma points it's more likely that the person is in fact serious about Umbraco and not a spammer.

/Jan

• Eran Meir 401 posts 543 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:06
    Eran Meir

the karma points sounds like a good idea, i also like the time idea for empty packages.

Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:06
    Daniel Bardi

That's a great suggestion... should be higher though.. you get 20 karma just for creating an account.. :)

Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:09
    Jan Skovgaard

I think that Lee meant when one has earned 10 points (20+10 = 30) - But it was of course not very explicit...at least that was how I read it :-)

/Jan

Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:11
    Daniel Bardi

"earned"  ... got it... then, yes... totally agree.. :P

+1 for explaining the obvious to me..

Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:25
    Lee Kelleher

Thanks Jan for clarifying.  To be honest, I'd forgot that new members started at 20 points, (sure there was a wiki page with details of the karma point system?)

Hopefully the powers that be at HQ will read this thread and consider the suggestions?

Cheers, Lee.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:27
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Karma limit sounds good to me.

Empty projects are a no-go. If you don't have a package file ready, get it done and *then* create the project. Nobody wants to see the "Magic Silver Bullet Package" on the frontpage of Our, just to get a "Coming Soon..." message on the project page. That's basically an "Under Construction" page... which is right up there with animated GIFs and the <FONT> tag... (in a setting like this, anyway).

/Chriztian

Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Totally agree on the empty projects should not be allowed. It's very frustrating to see them indeed.

But I think that people create them to tell the community "Hey, look what's coming up!"...don't know if it should be possible to have a "Coming projects" page somewhere where people could show interest in collaborating and such?

Maybe it could just be a forum named something like "Coming projects" ?

/Jan

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 22:37
    Tommy Poulsen

I've previously been considering if we should provide some project-staging, so the author initially (maybe even if it's just an idea or WIP) could promote the project as it evolves ... maybe admins as well, I haven't really thought it through ...

>Tommy

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 23:11
    Niels Hartvig

Big brother is indeed watching this thread :-)

I think we should be careful that everything doesn't end up requirering karma - how would you earn something in the first place then?

The problem isn't big and we could start by:

- Not list projects without files

- Allow admins to unpublish a project (would need at least flags from two admins)

- If a project has been unpublished you can't create a new one until that has been either published or removed by admins

Thoughts?

Apr 07, 2011 @ 23:26
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Niels,

Giving more powers to community admins would resolve the issue, like you say the spam problem isn't really a problem yet! (2+ flag is good).

Not listing projects without files, wont work, as you can see from the recent spams - they have uploaded files.

Cheers, Lee.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Apr 08, 2011 @ 08:46
    Kim Andersen

I can see the idea of requiring some karma before you can create a project, but what if someone just want to give all of us a great package and then just do anything else in here?

I don't like those empty spam project at all, but I'm afraid that we might scare new users from creating packages if they are told to earn karma before they can give us free stuff. Doesn't sound like the best solution in my ears even though 10 karma is not much, but then we might just end up with 10 spam post from a user that just want to upload a package.

I don't know the rights of the "normal" admins, but I like the idea of giving admins the rights of unpublishing a project if it's just spam or empty projects.

Just my thoughts... :)

/Kim A

Apr 08, 2011 @ 09:38
    Jan Skovgaard

I've been dreaming a bit about this (yes, it's scary!).

And I've had the same thought as Kim...if people have a killer package they would like to share but have not posted and for some reason has no intention to contribute by posting  then it would be a shame to rule them out.

I like the idea of flagging. Sounds like a fair solution i my ears.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft