Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Umbraco 137 posts 294 karma points
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 21:43
    Umbraco

Suggestion 1/2: replace our.umbraco.com/wiki with ScrewTurnWiki (or other dedicated wiki software)

Just wondering what the arguments are for developing a wiki based on Umbraco CMS versus installing and integrating dedicated wiki software. 

From my point of view as someone still quite new to Umbraco: I understand the 'need' to use Umbraco to power our.umbraco.org, but I would really prefer dedicated wiki software as it makes finding, navigating and ultimately editing content much easier. I have found some bugs in the wiki already, and the editing interface is not what I'd expect from a wiki. To me seems kind of pointless to develop this wiki until you get to a point where we all say "it's a pretty good wiki" when we could get to that same point and beyond by integrating something like ScrewTurnWiki.

So what do you think? Clever suggestion? Vision of greatness? Or rather a lack of vision?

• Umbraco 137 posts 294 karma points
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 21:56
    Umbraco

Let's see what happens to my karma :-)

On the topic of ScrewTurn, I have done two implementations and I know that it supports a provider model for members and pages. Out of the box it supports storing pages in a database as well as on disk. With a custom provider it might be possible to get it running with existing content from Umbraco before transitioning to the default provider. 

It doesn't support hierarchical content, but I believe that concept doesn't fit in a wiki application anyway (see Wikipedia for an example of how that works). This makes it infinitely easier to link pages together, all you need to know is the name of a page. It also support categories, tags (I think) and namespaces. That last feature is a complex one but it basically means you can have meta categories, for instance for pages about the wiki itself.

Of course you can quite easily skin the application, and last but not least, it supports plugins. One plugin offers the possibility of automatic code formatting. Quite a good thing to have on a wiki for developers.

Anyway, I think it's well worth looking into. Probably the license shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure. It's GPLv2.

• Pat Mancini 8 posts 72 karma points
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 11:37
    Pat Mancini

Hi how did you go with this implementation of a wiki with umbraco members? We are looking for an umbraco wiki. Any suggestions?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft