Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Umbraco 137 posts 294 karma points
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 21:44
    Umbraco

Suggestion 2/2: replace our.umbraco.com/forum with YAF.NET (or other dedicated forum software)

Just wondering what the arguments are for developing a forum based on Umbraco CMS versus installing and integrating dedicated forum software. 

As a developer still quite new to Umbraco I find that forums are a great way to find information and get answers. But I also think this forum is less then great. After just a few days of use I have encountered several bugs and annoying 'features' while missing some other much needed features. I am not too lazy to suggest new features, but I did stumble into a thread where the forum itself was questioned by one commenter.

So that leads me to my all-encompassing suggestion: integrate a dedicated and actively developed for forum application and be done with it. 

So what do you think? Clever suggestion? Vision of greatness? Or rather a lack of vision?

• Umbraco 137 posts 294 karma points
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 22:03
    Umbraco

By the way, I have no experience with YAF.NET, but I did notice that the website explicitly mention integration with Umbraco CMS, so I guess it offers support for Umbraco CMS members through the Membership API, but that's to be expected of any serious ASP.NET application.  

In any way, it supports much of the 'standard' forum features you'd expect, some of which I haven't seen in this forum yet, like threaded views and quotes. It's open source and licensed under GPLv2, not sure if the license would be a problem.

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:34
    Petr Snobelt

I like custom our forum, and prefer it from YAF. It's light and without unwanted features. But yes it has bugs, which can be fixed.

I'm not sure if YAF has high five button, but I think it can't support our lovely karma.

BTW: You can vote for self posts?

Petr

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft