Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jennifer Killingsworth 191 posts 247 karma points
    Aug 01, 2011 @ 16:39
    Jennifer Killingsworth

Media Management

It would be great if there were a tool that could tell me which pages are linking to an image or doc (or if nothing is linking to them).  We have over 38,000 media items and we need a way to tell which files are orphaned so we can delete them.  It would also help with duplicate items, so we could point all links to the same file and remove the duplicate.

We're using Umbraco 4.6.1 (new schema) with plans to upgrade to 4.7 and I haven't found a tool that will do this.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Aug 01, 2011 @ 16:53
    Aug 01, 2011 @ 17:04
    Jennifer Killingsworth

This only works with the legacy schema.  We're using the new schema and cannot switch back.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Aug 01, 2011 @ 17:10
    Rich Green

Might be worth contacting the dev, he's pretty active on Twitter and see if you can get the source code or see if they are working on updates.

I don't know of any other tool that does what you need.

Rich

Aug 01, 2011 @ 19:32
    Jennifer Killingsworth

I've already done that as well.  It would be nice if media management was actually built into the CMS.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Aug 05, 2011 @ 16:59
    Dan Diplo

This would be very difficult to achieve in Umbraco since there are so many ways media can be added to a page - via TinyMce or via custom datatypes or media pickers. For instance, how do you get a list of all media added to a page? You can't just check the published XML as you may just have something like this:

<backgroundImage>54</backgroundImage>

How would you know that the ID in there was that of a media item as opposed to something else?

Just don't think it's that achievable in Umbraco without actually resolving every link in the published page content, which is difficult.

Aug 05, 2011 @ 19:18
    Jennifer Killingsworth

Packages exist that do it, but the ones I've found only work with the legacy schema.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft