Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Oct 30, 2011 @ 22:23
    Robert J. Bullock

No viable blog package for 4.7 = depressing!

Man, seriously, I know it's unfair to whine about something that's free but... it really is frustrating that there's no solid blogging package for Umbraco that works with 4.7.1. "Blog 4 Umbraco" is buggy and uBlogsy, while promising, is a bit buggy as well plus I don't want a blog that takes over my site! I just want to be able to install and set it up beneath my site root using my own templates.

The client is clamoring for WordPress which I don't want to do, but I may not have a choice... 

• Jon Dunfee 199 posts 468 karma points
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 22:10
    Jon Dunfee

I've been able to get away with adding a "Panel" (or Press Release) tab and adding a few fields to the document type for a text page to facilitate a macro aggregating the data from the various nested pages (with populated items on the Panel tab) mimicing a blog behavior without actually installing a blog.  (I think I just seriously thought up a masterful run-on sentence)

Seems like several of my clients have looked at WordPress and Joo..*cough*..mla, but after asking how often they plan to blog, it was more of occasional news releases.  I'm just saying depending on the need of the client, you may be able to creatively utilize the existing Umbraco engine to blog without the help of 3rd party packages to install [and ultimately maintain].

Example for inspiration:

The concept of the macro is to grab all the immediate child pages that make up the "Press Release Set" and aggregate them.  You can get as fancy as you like to incorporate pagination, etc... but it's pretty simple and I don't have to teach the client a tool within a tool (sotospeak).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft