Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pancheri Damien 16 posts 35 karma points
    Sep 18, 2012 @ 12:14
    Pancheri Damien

Items linking improvements

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's the right place to post this topic.

We're working with umbraco (4.7.2) for 3 month and we use 3 different platforms: dev, preprod and prod.
    One big issue is that the platforms don't evolve at the same rate and so the primary key (ID) are always different from a platform to another which leads to content issues when we put some new content/functionalities in production.

Is it possible to add a GUID to the items and link the items on this GUID? This would be great, there won't be any issues anymore between different working platforms.

We also use several languages on umbraco but unfortunately one original item (in EN for example) cannot be linked to a translated item.
    Could it be possible to add a functionality "translate item" that would create a copy of the item in the destination language and that keep a link between the original item and the copied/translated item?

Thanks for your help,

Damien P.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Sep 18, 2012 @ 17:15
    Tom Fulton

Hi Damien,

Regarding you first question, I think Courier might be what you're looking for?  It allows you to  package up content (and all related artifacts such as datatypes, doctypes etc) and transfer them between environments.  It will handle updating node IDs for you.

For the second question, when you copy a node you can tick the box to "Relate copied node to original" which will create a "relation" entry that you can use to progamatically reference the original node.  It will take some custom programming to get a UI for this but its definitely possible.

Hope this helps,
    Tom 

Sep 19, 2012 @ 09:46
    Pancheri Damien

Hi Tom,

Do you know if there is a free/test/trial version of Courier?

For the second question, do you know if there is an existing plugin that shows the relations between items? or should I build it?

Thank you for your helpful answers.

Damien

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Sep 19, 2012 @ 17:45
    Tom Fulton

You can use Courier for free with .local domains for testing.

I don't think there's an exact plugin for what you need, but maybe MultiPicker Relations from uComponents might be worth looking at.

Also, "Relation Types" package was integrated into the core in 4.9 (or 4.8.1?) which might be of help.  In the Developer section you can look at your Relation Types and click the Relations tab to see documents that are related.

If anything you might be able to look at the code for these to see how they work.  The Relations API is pretty straightforward though, so it would be pretty simple to write a quick Usercontrol Datatype that lists out related pages.

HTH,
    Tom 

Sep 24, 2012 @ 09:43
    Pancheri Damien

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your help.

Courier might fulfill my expectations about the transportable packages between platforms.

I installed the 4.9 version which integrate the "relation types" (not the 4.8.1). It's a good point to start managing the links between items. One question, where can I suggest to add an interface to create links between existing items?

Cheers,

Damien

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft