Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Douglas Ludlow 210 posts 366 karma points
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 22:55
    Douglas Ludlow

Media Linking Problem

Why doesn't Umbraco link to media by Id?

I guess I can answer my own question... it's to allow the user to resize an image, it allows Umbraco to save the resized version out... but there's got to be some better way to do this. Some kind of image handler perhaps?

What I want to be able to do is link to a media item (image, pdf, etc) and then be able to change the file associated with the media node and not have to update the link in the editor. Is that so much to ask for? Surely I'm not the only one with this need.

Sure, the workaround is to make sure the umbracoFile stays the same. But that's not always practical to expect the users to remember to do that.

Maybe we could come to some kind of compromise. How about this? When an image is inserted using the "Insert/edit image" button, sure, fine, use the images url, I don't care. But when the "Insert/edit link" button is used, why not use some kind of locallink syntax like content nodes? This would be a great improvement to Umbraco!

Thoughts?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Oct 03, 2012 @ 08:54
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

I know there is was a discussion lately to store media the same way as it stores links {media:(1234)} in the editor to avoid broken media. I don't know the current status. Maybe add it to the issue tracker so people can vote for this.

Cheers,

Richard

• Douglas Ludlow 210 posts 366 karma points
    Oct 03, 2012 @ 21:28
    Douglas Ludlow

Thanks,

I've added it to the issue tracker.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft