Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Hughes 87 posts 110 karma points
    Jan 28, 2013 @ 23:20
    Robert Hughes

Tags against properties

Hi all,

Just working with tags for the first time and I hit a bit of a snag.

I assign tags against my doc types as a property like everything else yet the implementation of the tags means I can only have one 'tags' property per doc type per 'group'.

As soon as I tried multiple (default) tag properties on my nodes they would all get the same value when saved.

Seems like the DB layer for this needs to be enhanced a bit to allow you to have multiple instances of a tag property per doc type (tag values should be stored against property ids, not node ids).

In my example I had one property called 'Tags' which were the tags that described the node. I then had another property which the user could select which 'Associated Tags' to render since it needed to be quite smart. In order to get this to work I had to create a tag group per property which means I lose the auto-complete in the editor - one of the essential parts of the tagging system.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Jan 29, 2013 @ 03:03
    Tom Fulton

Hi Robert,

What version of Umbraco are you running?  There was a bug pre-4.11 where having multiple tags datatypes would act flaky.  See: U4-1167

I had the same issue and upgrading fixed it.

Hope this helps,
    Tom

• Robert Hughes 87 posts 110 karma points
    Jan 29, 2013 @ 03:22
    Robert Hughes

I am running 4.11.3.

This isn't a bug per se - rather a muddled implementation.

If I have two properties on my DocType of type 'Tags' I should be able to set them to 2 different values - which is not possible at the moment. Really with the current implementation each node should have a 'tags' yes/no checkbox rather than letting people add n Tags properties to their doc type.

This would require refactoring tags to store them against the property rather than the node id in the DB. This of course would mean all the default GetNodesWithTag() type methods would no longer make sense as one would need to be specific as to which property you were querying.

That is why I have put this as a feature request - I would favour leaving the current Tags as they are and creating a new Tag datatype called 'PropertyTags' or some such which works the same but stores tags againsts a node's properties, rather than the node itself.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft