Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Aug 28, 2009 @ 09:50
    Fredrik Esseen

Video converter

One thing that many of my customers have requested is a possibility to upload a videoclip that is converted to right format to be used on the web. Im no expert on this area and would like som info on how to handle this.

The easiest would be if the user wont have to bother with the file format but to let Umbraco handle the problem.

I know that their is a package for showing youtube clip but then their is a youtube logo, right?

What is the best practice to handle videoclips? 

• Kenneth Christensen 4 posts 24 karma points
    Aug 28, 2009 @ 12:21
    Kenneth Christensen

ffmpeg (ffmpeg.org) will do a video->flv conversion.

but running it with c# bindings inside a medium trust enviroment is next to impossible, so unless you have rdp access to your hosting enviroment, maybe you should develop a local<->remote queuing/conversion setup ?

..Kenneth

Aug 28, 2009 @ 12:42
    Fredrik Esseen

I just found this page that is one way of solving the problem:

http://online.movavi.com/

• Comment author was deleted

Aug 28, 2009 @ 15:24

Hi,

One way you could do this is by making an "upload to youtube" datatype. Where the end user can upload any video file, this would then be encoded en stored by youtube. The only thing that would need to be stored by umbraco is the link to the file.

Aug 28, 2009 @ 15:56
    Fredrik Esseen

But then its powered by Youtube right? And as I mentioned (might seem as a really small problem) the user doesnt want the youtube-logo.

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Sep 01, 2009 @ 12:41
    Ron Brouwer

Hi Froad,

We have done a project using the software found here: http://www.mediasoftpro.com/

Ron

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Sep 01, 2009 @ 13:20
    Warren Buckley

Hi Froad,
    I think that you should get the client to install some software on their machine to do their video conversion to a FLV video and then upload that file into Umbraco and use any flash video player on your front end site to view the video, we use FlowPlayer a great video player.

Warren

Sep 01, 2009 @ 13:59
    Ron Brouwer

We have used the following for converting:

"Media Handler Pro is an .NET video encoding and video publishing tool for converting videos and audios from any format to another format, extract audio, grab thumbnails, split video into small clips and post watermark on videos in real time using .NET applications including ASP.NET.

It supports encoding and publishing videos compatible for flash streaming, windows media streaming, quicktime player, mobile devices, desktop players and other multimedia applications and hardwares.

It works on .NET Framework compatible application, including ASP.NET, desktop applications, web services and others.

It is compatible on all windows operating systems including windows server 2003, windows server 2008 and web servers including IIS 6.0 and IIS 7.0."

http://www.mediasoftpro.com/

If your clients are don't care doing it themselves you can follow Warrens advise.

Ron

Sep 01, 2009 @ 14:00
    Ron Brouwer

Sorry for markup this editor has a live of its own..

Sep 02, 2009 @ 14:33
    Fredrik Esseen

Mediasoft Pro sounds perfect! The only issue is if its possible for me to use it on my provider? I dont have direct access to the server, only ftp.

Sep 02, 2009 @ 15:20
    Ron Brouwer

I don't think it matters. For as far as i know it's just some dll. You don't need to install anything special.

• yzf 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 29, 2009 @ 11:12
    yzf

Freeware is enough, you can get VideoMax Free Video Converter at free-star.org.

• Siw Ørnhaug 130 posts 109 karma points
    Sep 13, 2011 @ 09:40
    Siw Ørnhaug

Hei Froad,

I'm using Umbraco 4.7 as backend of a very specialized publishing project. Users have the option to upload videos that will be handled by our own HTML5 compliant viewer. This require the videos to be in flash or H.264 format. It's important that the user is not bothered with the actual conversion. I'm trying to do it automatically in a document AfterSave event handler. Videos will be mainly in AVI or WMV format and converted to MP4.

I really don't know anything about video conversion, the very concept makes me very blond ;-)

I'm curious about how your case turned out. Did you succeed and was that with the Media Soft Pro?

I've tried the Solid FFmpeg C# .Net Wrapper, but I'm having trouble with the interop functionality. Maby because I don't really understand what I do, but I've received patient help from the people behind it and I have extensive access on the web server. Still I'm not able to load the correct dll from the event handler.

I've used a lot of time on this implementation, that's why I'm looking for other people's experiences.

Hope you can advice me.

Siw

• soni 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 29, 2013 @ 05:27
    soni

Thanks for your suggestion guys. Handbrake looks promising and simple enough.

However, it does not have a predefined profile for YouTube. I guess I will have to  have a look in the optimal settings for YouTube.

Regards

http://videos.urduwire.com/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft