Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• firepol 125 posts 173 karma points
    Jul 21, 2013 @ 09:01
    firepol

Idea for umbraco 6.2 or umbraco 7: groups/permissions and sections

Hi,

In the releases page I've seen, for version 6.2.0: "Focus on getting the new Member API ready. Also integrating features introduced in pull requests (examples: drag & drop in content tree, changing doctype on a content item, and whatever else pops up)."

So, for "whatever pops up" here a few -humble- suggestions:

Idea 1: Permissions: implement permissions based on groups. Besides the actual permission system, it would be good to add groups. Where to apply this:

• Content > Node > Permissions.
    • Users > Users permissions.
    In the past I've seen you've merged an existing package in the core (uComponents) so maybe the package Usergroup Permissions could be handy for this purpose?
    Idea 2: Sections in Backend associated to existing Content in the Content Tree.
    For several customers I had to do, in the past, a main website with some special internal content.
    In some cases, instead of creating my own database tables and my own create, edit, delete etc. it was useful to use umbraco document types and umbraco content... but then, anyway, had to programmatically create my lists, use some javascript tricks to trigger a content edit etc. so here my "vision" for it:
    • I create my new document types for some special stuff I don't necessarily want to see published in the website.
    • I go under "Content" and add a new Node called say "MyNewSection" and create a structure for my special stuff under it.
    • It would be cool now, instead of manually creating a new section and all the associated coding for it, to have a button "make this a section" and have all the job done automatically by umbraco.
    • The new section will look like "Content": same tree with nodes. Cool thing here is that the users with access to this section don't need access to "Content", see what I mean?
    Ok for now. 2 ideas, maybe they can be useful, maybe not. The forum is here for discussion ;)
    cheers

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 22:45
    Funka!

Group-based permissions would be great. This was suggested at least as long ago as November 2010 from what I can see, and exists as U4-228 in the issue tracker. Sadly it has only three votes right now, so I guess not that popular of a wish. (Unless that package you suggested is what people are using; I've never seen it before today but will certainly check it out!)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft