Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• higgsy 65 posts 92 karma points
    Mar 06, 2014 @ 19:15
    higgsy

Check for referenced Image/Page before delete

Hi,

I'm sure this must have been discussed at some point elsewhere, however I'd like to suggest that the Editor(User) and API are aware of whether a page/image is referenced before it is deleted. When an Editor tries to delete a page/media asset they would ideally be presented with a dialog showing the pages reference the page/media asset they are trying to delete. At which point, they can still delete, but they have been warned. In fact, it would be really nice if there was a configuration setting that determines whether an Editor can still delete if they have been warned about references.

Likewise any Delete methods in the API should not Delete without some sort of overwride parameter if the Node that is being deleted is referenced elsewhere in the site.

I'm sure this creates lots of headaches to implement (datatypes/macros - the WYSIWYG currently stores paths to pages/images not Id's) but it would make a huge improvement to umbraco. Personally I think it's a bit of a fundemantal of a CMS, it's the M in management - if Editors can easily break the site by deleting referenced nodes/assets then it's not provided them with the right level of management tools.

I'd love to know whether this has been considered?

Thanks

Al

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 22, 2014 @ 20:20
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Higgsy

That's a good suggestion - I don't think that something like this has been mentioned before. But no doubt that I can help out the editor to get notified about this. Whether or not it should be in the core or made as a 3rd party package I don't know...

However feel free to add this proposal as a feature request on the issue tracker.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft