Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ronak Panchal 71 posts 230 karma points
    Nov 17, 2015 @ 13:53
    Ronak Panchal

Which is the best Practice for Umbraco Development.

Hello, I m new to umbraco development and I would like to know about best practices and development methods.

Based on my research I found that we can develop umbraco web site using below method. 1.Nuget package installer. 2.Install umbraco in IIS.

My next Question is, How to share umbraco admin logins Between Developers and How to manage Project on TFS?

Moreover, How to manage Different environment for development and testing?

Please suggest If any Document to host umbraco Site On Azure.

Help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 17, 2015 @ 14:24
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Ronak,

It`s sounds to me that you could solve lots of your challenges, by try out the Umbraco as a Service product. It´s easy to invite team members to the project that you are working on, and it´s easy add and remove members from projects.

Another thing is it´s easier with Umbraco as a Service is to manage different environment for development and testing, to just mentions some. So deployment is one button click.

We are working with to different plans. A standard plan and a support plan.

But you can signup for a trial today, to see if this could be the solution on your challenges. http://umbraco.com and you can read more about the Umbraco as a Service here http://umbraco.com/cloud.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Nov 19, 2015 @ 06:38
    Ronak Panchal

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for sharing your point of view !

Can anyone tell me what is the best environment for developing from below?

1. Microsoft web platform installer.
    2. Install Microsoft web matrix.
    3. In visual Studio install via NuGet package Manager.

Any help would be Appreciated !

Thank you,

Ronak.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 19, 2015 @ 20:56
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Ronak,

For my point of view I would go with option 3. The reason for my choice is that if you are setting up your Umbraco installation using NuGet https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/install/install-umbraco-with-nuget

Then NuGet can do Umbraco upgrades for you super easy. When you need to upgrade Umbraco then you just need to write something like this in package manager installer in NuGet.

PM> Update-Package UmbracoCms -Version 7.3.1

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Nov 26, 2015 @ 05:25
    Ronak Panchal

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for Your Reply!

I don't want to use Uaas.

Can anyone tell me How to setup multiple environments like Development Staging and production On Azure App service.??

Any help would be Much Appreciated !

Thank you,

Ronak.

• Dipa 88 posts 370 karma points
    Nov 19, 2015 @ 04:31
    Dipa

Hello,
    You suggest to use Umbraco as Service to maintain the project with all environment but as it is paid service so I am not able to use it. So can you please suggest me any another way to maintain in TFS with other members also in team.

And also I am using visual studio for some concept so how to maintain that also with IIS. So can I use visual studio online TFS for it? If yes, then how to use it?

Thank you.

• Alan Hill 14 posts 57 karma points
    Nov 20, 2015 @ 13:57
    Alan Hill

Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like your questions are more general, "how to manage VS projects in TFS" - since Umbraco is just a NuGet package installed into a VS solution that shouldn't affect how you actually manage your code/source control.

If you are really that unsure about how to manage VS solutions in TFS, then perhaps I'd suggest searching in a more general help forum (.net, VS, Stack Overflow) for more general help. It does kind of sound like you are not really quite ready to start on Umbraco development from what you say.

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Nov 23, 2015 @ 16:24
    Matthew Kirschner

@Dipa,

Umbraco with TFS should "just work" once you understand how to setup each on their own. I recommend looking up a tutorial on how to get started with Umbraco. When you have your site installed and fully functional, then you can create a new project in TFS and immediately add Umbraco's VS solution to source control. This is a very simple process (requires no code) that any 'Getting Started with TFS' article should be able to guide you through.

When including other developers in the project, the only major pain I've experienced is having to share a development database. Of course, there is even a solution for that if you're willing to get your hands dirty..

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft