Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 13:24
    Lee Kelleher

Forum "member's also viewing" functionality

One of the more annoying problems I've found with the Our Umbraco forum is when member's simultaneous respond to a topic. Well, usually this annoys other members when I get there first ;-p

A way around this could be to have a small panel listing who else is viewing the same topic. i.e. "Member's also viewing this topic"

For example, if I noticed that dandrayne was also viewing a new topic about an XSLT problem, I'm pretty sure he'll be answering it ... so I'd hold off until I saw his reply ... and then respond accordingly (or not, because he's most likely solved it!)

Code-wise... is there anything we can do with the "CachedMembers()" method (hashtable)?

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member.Member.CachedMembers()

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Lee.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 13:27
    Peter Dijksterhuis

I would advice against this. If you see me viewing a topic, you'll simply write your own answer in order to beat me to it!

On a slightly more serious note: Good idea!

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 13:55
    dandrayne

Seems like a good idea to me, but it does speak well of the forum that this is even an issue in the first place ;-)

How would it work if e.g. I had multiple tabs open?  Not being a c# dev I have no idea how this would be implemented

Dan

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 14:02
    Lee Kelleher

Re: multiple tabs ... unless it was AJAX'd up, it would probably just display who was viewing at page-load.

Probably need to speak to Morton (or other uForum devs) to see how this could be integrated.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft