Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 06:09
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Show required Umbraco version for installing a package

4.1 has a lot of major changes, the largest of which is the XML schema. Currently, there is no way of seeing whether a package will work (or is tested) in a particular version of Umbraco. This is becoming really important to prevent bug reports and disappointments.

The first step that could help is showing clearly in the projects section for which version of Umbraco a package is intended. So that's my suggestion for the our.umbraco site.

But it doesn't stop there, like with Firefox, I also think that there should be a check in the package installer self. The creater of the package will have to enter a version that this package will work on. As time goes by, there might even be a maximum version.
    I imagine an extra "overrule" checkbox ("Yes I know this package might not work on my version of Umbraco, install anyway") would be good there as well.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 06:10
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Of course, it would also be good to have a version filter in the projects overview section, so it will be easier to find packages that will work with your version of Umbraco.

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 10:00
    Matt Brailsford

A couple of simple rules for now, may be to add the supported version number into the project title, and add a version number tag?

Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft