Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mathias Valentin 60 posts 208 karma points
    Apr 12, 2016 @ 11:32
    Mathias Valentin

Filtering on custom property with .Where()

Hi,

I have a collection of project data (see below) in a root content folder shared by multiply websites located on root level. A website contains projects, and these projects is linked to the corresponding shared project data with an projectId string (property on both project and project data).

-Website (da)
    --Projects
    ---project 1
    ---project 2

-Website (en)
    --Projects
    ---project 1
    ---project 2

-Projects data
    --project 1
    --project 2

I'm now trying to find the best way of getting the linked project data on each project in my partial view. This is what I got so far (not working):

var contentRoot = Umbraco.TypedContentAtRoot();

var projectsFolder = contentRoot.First().Sibling("projectsFolder");
    var project = projectsFolder.Descendants("projectData").Where("projectId == CurrentPage.projectId");

The above method isn't giving any results - the .Where() part is not working :(

How would you guys get the correct projectData node? Am I on the right path? Is this real life? etc.

/Mathias

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Apr 12, 2016 @ 13:03
    Gordon Saxby

I haven't looked at what you are trying to do in detail - but I think your "where" should be more like

var project = projectsFolder.Descendants("projectData").Where(p => p.projectId == CurrentPage.projectId);

Apr 12, 2016 @ 19:53
    Mathias Valentin

Thanks a million, Gordon!

Tried your suggestion and ended up with an error?! But eventually got it working with:

var project = projectsFolder.Descendants("projectData").Where(p => p.GetPropertyValue<string>("projectId") == CurrentPage.projectId);

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Apr 12, 2016 @ 13:35
    Steve Morgan

Looks like there is also a problem at line two - you're not getting the ProjectsFolder - a sibling is at the same level not below.

Try:

var projectsFolder = contentRoot.Children("projectsFolder").First();
    var project = projectsFolder.Descendants("projectData").Where(x => x.Id == projectId);

Apr 12, 2016 @ 19:46
    Mathias Valentin

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answer! I actually tried that already, but it does not seem to work as expected (see error below). However the contentroot.First().Siblings() does the job, but it feels a bit like a hack :)

CS1928: 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent>' does not contain a definition for 'Children' and the best extension method overload 'Umbraco.Web.PublishedContentExtensions.Children(Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent, System.Func<Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent,bool>)' has some invalid arguments

Your answer got me looking at the docs again and I found that TypedContentAtXPath can be used instead, it seems to be a cleaner/better solution:

var projectsFolder = Umbraco.TypedContentAtXPath("//projectsFolder").First();

Apr 13, 2016 @ 07:35
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

Sorry my code should have said

var projectsFolder = contentRoot.Children().Where(x => x.DocumentTypeAlias == "projectsFolder").First();
    var project = projectsFolder.Descendants("projectData").Where(x => x.Id == projectId);

You can use XPaths but it's a bit of a throw back from the old XSLT Umbraco days. That said the cache is still XML based so it should be speedy enough.

Steve

Apr 13, 2016 @ 07:41
    Mathias Valentin

Oh - didn't know that! I'm trying your code but seems to get the same error. It's complaining about the contentRoot.Children ("does not contain a definition for 'Children'")?

CS1928: 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent>' does not contain a definition for 'Children' and the best extension method overload 'Umbraco.Core.Models.ContentExtensions.Children(Umbraco.Core.Models.IContent)' has some invalid arguments

I can't even do a foreach on @contentRoot.Children()?

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 13, 2016 @ 07:53
    Kevin Jump

Hi

if you have multiple root nodes TypedContentAtRoot will return a collection not a single item, so that might be why it doesn't have .Children() directly.

Model.Content.AncestorsOrSelf(1) 

will return the root level for a given page (it says go to level 1 for this node)

Apr 13, 2016 @ 07:58
    Mathias Valentin

Thanks Kevin! That makes perfectly good sense. How would you then get a root level sibling from within a given page? Would this be the best approach?

Model.Content.AncestorsOrSelf(1).Sibling("projectsFolder")

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 13, 2016 @ 08:03
    Kevin Jump

Hi

Personally for that i would use TypedContentAtRoot, and then get the sibling from the collection, although I am not sure why, the above probably works just as well :)

Apr 13, 2016 @ 08:17
    Steve Morgan

Doh - good spot Kevin. Right, never post code without trying it first :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft