Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Muhammad Adeel 19 posts 109 karma points
    Apr 21, 2016 @ 09:32
    Muhammad Adeel

Null reference error on getting value of Document type fields

I have just installed version 7.4.3 and installed Ublogsy on it , After the installation i just published the site . the home page works fine but when i try to preview the blog "Test Title" from the sample added by umbraco ublogsy installation, i get the following error. I have not changed any code from templates or partials. screenshots are Error Message

my content page looks like :

Content Preview

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Apr 21, 2016 @ 09:48
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Muhammad,

Could it be that your uBlogsyAuthorName haven't got a value? If that's the case, you're calling .Trim() in a null object which throws the null pointer exception you're getting.

Perhaps try use this, which checks if the property actually has got a value, before attempting to use it:

string name = a.HasValue("uBlogsyAuthorName") ? a.GetPropertyValue<string>("uBlogsyAuthorName").Trim() : string.Empty;

Hope that helps. If not, please let me know :-)

Apr 21, 2016 @ 10:31
    Muhammad Adeel

as you can see in second screen shot i have created an author by the name "Adeel". i also double checked it. Yeah i know this will ressolve my error for the time being but why its not picking up the author name?

Apr 21, 2016 @ 10:38
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Muhammad,

Yes, I'm aware that the author node is created, but still, does the property "uBlogsyAuthorName" have a value? :-)

And further: have you selected Adeel as the author of the post you're viewing?

Apr 21, 2016 @ 10:58
    Muhammad Adeel

Yes sir i have entered the uBlogsyAuthorName value. actually "Author Name" is the Name of the field, On mouse hover i get the alias.AuthorName

Apr 21, 2016 @ 20:14
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Muhammad,

I've now installed uBlogsy on a fresh Umbraco 7.4.3 and can definitely reproduce the exception that you're facing.

The exception is thrown on the method GetPropertyValue<T>(string propertyTypeAlias) simply because a reference is missing.

This is fixed by added the following references:

@using Umbraco.Core.Models
    @using Umbraco.Web

to the following views:

uBlogsyPostListAuthors.cshtml
    uBlogsyWidgetListAuthors.cshtml

This should fix the issue :-)

Apr 22, 2016 @ 09:17
    Muhammad Adeel

thanks mate!!!

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 21, 2016 @ 20:28
    Nicholas Westby

I have used uBlogsy before and it caused some very annoying issues (most especially with uCommentsy). It also hasn't been updated in over a year. Have you considered Articulate?: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/articulate/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft