Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick Babaki 22 posts 71 karma points c-trib
    May 01, 2016 @ 13:07
    Nick Babaki

I have created an MVC Partial View using SurfaceController. It works well. But I want to insert it in a Gird.

My Questions:

• I think I should create a macro then call that controller action using Html.Action and then insert the macro into grid. I just wondering if this way is correct and best practice.

• Also when I tried to do that, I was unsuccessful as I always receive Error loading Partial View script. If this way is correct, I really appreciate it if you show me an example or tutorial.

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    May 01, 2016 @ 17:58
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Mehrdad!

You could definitely insert your partial through a macro, I think that's a good solution when you need it in RTE/Grid.

About your error, that's a generic error message that always shows when a macros fails, so that it won't expose sensitive info. The complete error message can be found in the log file, check /App_Data/Logs. (My guess is a missing namespace.)

Best of luck to you, let me know if you need anything else!!

May 02, 2016 @ 06:43
    Nick Babaki

Thanks Dennis,

You were right, Eventually I created my first macro using MVC. Now I faced another issue. When I create a local surfacecontroller it works well. Then I created a new directory in App_Plugins and added Views and MacroPartials and added my view to this views folder. It works properly but if I add PluginController attribute, it gives this error: No route in the route table matches the supplied values.

Thanks again for your help.

May 02, 2016 @ 07:39
    Dennis Adolfi

Strange. Did you do as explained on this page: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/routing/surface-controllers (Bottom part "Plugin based controllers")

Could it be that you have to restart the app-pool so that all routes are re-routed?

Also you are awear that when you make a surfacecontroller to a plugin controller the URL changes?

Without the Plugincontroller attributre:

/umbraco/surface/{controllername}/{action}/{id}

With the plugincontroller attribute:

/umbraco/{areaname}/{controllername}/{action}/{id}

May 02, 2016 @ 07:53
    Nick Babaki

Thanks Dennis,

Just wondering, I want to use that plugin, on Macro using @Html.Action("Index","Search") Should I change anything when I convert SearchController to Plugin?

May 02, 2016 @ 08:08
    Dennis Adolfi

Yes you can call it like that but you have to specify your area name i.e the name you´ve given your plugin.

@Html.Action("Index", "Search", new { area = "MyPlugin" })

if you used this this attribute for the surfacecontroller:

[PluginController("MyPlugin")]

May 03, 2016 @ 01:46
    Nick Babaki

Thanks Dennis,

You are expert. All your responses helped me too much.

May 03, 2016 @ 06:18
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Mehrdad!

Awsome, glad to hear that it worked out for you. Good luck with the rest of your plugin!! Have a great day!! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft