Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Jun 13, 2016 @ 14:53
    Rob Watkins

Mixing WebForms and MVC on Umbraco 7.4.1

I am completely upgrading an old site to Umbraco 7.4.1.

The new site uses MVC exclusively. However, there are a lot of old usercontrols / masterpages containing custom (but non-Umbraco) functionality that cannot be quickly and easily upgraded.

I would like to just have those as masterpages on the new install; this SO answer seems to imply it is possible:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/24186675/318411

Short answer is yes, you can mix MVC and Webforms within an Umbraco 7 project. The rendering engine is determined by the template.

If an MVC template is found then it will use MVC as the rendering engine, otherwise it will look for a .master template (in the masterpages folder) and if it finds one it will use Webforms

However I've tried everything I think that post might mean and it doesn't work. Is this possible? If so, how do I make it work?

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Jun 13, 2016 @ 15:40
    Rob Watkins

Well, I've got this working, but it's a bit clunky!

I need to create the Template as normal, which creates an MVC view.

Then I can paste the Webforms code over the top and save; this still saves to /Views.

Then I need to manually move it to /masterpages and change the extension to .master, at which point the site works.

After this, any edits in the Umbraco backend will correctly save to the /masterpages/mytemplate.master file.

Is there something I'm missing? Shouldn't it be doing the move-on-first-save for me?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft