Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 48 posts 108 karma points
    Jul 21, 2016 @ 22:32
    Simon

Bidirectional Multinode Picker (many-to-many relationships)

I'm looking to setup a data type that allows bidirectional node linking through a property. I feel like something like this might/should exist but don't know what it might be called in Umbraco. In database terms this is known as a "many to many" relationship if that helps the ideas brewing.

Below is a simplified and ideal tree structure. Under the document type "Product", the property "Collections" would be a multinode treepicker containing all the collections for that product. Under the document type "Collection" the property "Products" would also be a multinode treepicker containing all the products assigned to that collection.

• Collections

• Collection ABC
        • Property Products: 1001,1002,1005
      • Collection DEF
        • Property Products: 1002,1003
      • Collection HIJ
        • Property Products: 1001,1005
    • Products

• Product 1001
        • Property Collections: ABC,HIJ
      • Product 1002
        • Property Collections: ABC,DEF
      • Product 1003
        • Property Collections: DEF
      • Product 1004
        • Property Collections: (none)
      • Product 1005
        • Property Collections: ABC,HIJ

Any help, ideas, guidance, documentation, examples would be very much appreciated.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 21, 2016 @ 23:00
    Nicholas Westby

Sounds a bit like an Umbraco feature called "Umbraco Relations": https://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2012/12/7/getting-to-know-umbraco-relations/

Disclaimer: I've never used it myself, and I'm not sure the support for it is that great.

Perhaps this would also be of use (though the compatibility report doesn't look that great): https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/umbraco-relation-editor/

• Ian 178 posts 752 karma points
    Jul 21, 2016 @ 23:18
    Ian

I think you could also use nupickers property editor to create your bi-directional relations

• Simon 48 posts 108 karma points
    Sep 07, 2016 @ 14:24
    Simon

Thanks for the replies, ultimately we chose the faster route and just chose to associate products to many collections. Then, on a collection page we query the products for those associated with a collection.

• Josip 195 posts 662 karma points c-trib
    Jul 30, 2019 @ 16:05
    Josip

Is there any better way to this in Umbraco 8?

• Sven 34 posts 138 karma points
    Jun 11, 2020 @ 08:46
    Sven

Hey Josip,

Did you find any solution for umbraco 8? Happy to know !

Thnx !

• Josip 195 posts 662 karma points c-trib
    Sep 11, 2020 @ 18:15
    Josip

Hi Sven, sorry for late response, but I didnt and now I need it again but cant find anything.

• Mark Drake 133 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Dec 03, 2020 @ 05:40
    Mark Drake

This is something we used for Umbraco v7.

It's called Two Way Picker. You can find the source code on GitHub.

Both Logan and I have moved on from the agency so I'm not in the loop if a version of this package is in the works for v8. I don't suspect there are (yet) but they'd probably welcome a contribution to get it working.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft