Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeremy Holland 20 posts 103 karma points
    Oct 05, 2016 @ 17:49
    Jeremy Holland

Runtime Binder Exception/Ambiguous call

Hi,

I'm getting a strange error on the "in" of a "foreach(var x in y)" statement. The code throws and exception saying the call is ambiguous between two UmbracoHelper methods. A screen shot of the error and the copied code is below. Any help would be most appreciated.

I have verified that categories is a vanilla C# array with 2 items that are strings. The strange thing is that the foreach loop will iterate through the two items and then it tries to iterate again (and should pop out of the loop) it throws the error. Also, if I copy that entire code block and put it before the erroring block (with different variable name) it works fine.

enter image description here

string selectedCategories = string.Empty;
    <!-- Portfolio item start -->
    var categories = portfolioItem.GetPropertyValue(category.Name).Split(new[] {','}, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries);
    foreach (var selectedCategory in categories)
        {
            selectedCategories += Umbraco.Content(selectedCategory).Name.ToLower() + " ";
        }

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Oct 06, 2016 @ 10:52
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Jeremy.

Have you tried to .ToString() the parameter you pass in to the Umbraco.Content() method?

selectedCategories += Umbraco.Content(selectedCategory.ToString()).Name.ToLower() + " ";

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 06, 2016 @ 11:28
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi guys,

In perfect world its better to use strongly typed objects -

Umbraco.TypedContent(1221).Name

Thanks,

Alex

• Jeremy Holland 20 posts 103 karma points
    Mar 14, 2017 @ 03:49
    Jeremy Holland

I wanted to solve this issue for those of you out there that might run into this too. The problem was an ambiguous call, but the error location highlighted by Visual Studio was a red herring.

enter image description here

If you look at the image you see the exception hitting on the line with the foreach loop, specifically on the "in" keyword. However the error is a few lines down on a different line. Follow the red arrow to the actual exception location. This drove me crazy, but adding a .ToString() method to that parameter of the Umbraco.Content call fixes things.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft