Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Morten Devold 10 posts 79 karma points
    Jan 05, 2017 @ 08:40
    Morten Devold

Hi,

I have an Umbraco setup that uses the grid to allow flexibility for our users. However, I'm using Angular+JS on the frontend, and using an extended API to retrieve what I need.

I've cobbled together some code to render the grid as HTML on the server, but I don't think it automatically caches the result? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a few pointers as to how this should be handled for efficiency.

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Jan 05, 2017 @ 10:30
    David Peck

Hi Morten,

Is your rendered HTML the result of a controller action (or can it be)? If so then Donut caching should do the job for you..

• Morten Devold 10 posts 79 karma points
    Jan 05, 2017 @ 13:20
    Morten Devold

Thanks for the tip! Yes, the content is rendered based on API/controller requests. I'm currently using some deprecated code (compiler warnings) to get the content rendered, so I will probably have to rewrite the handling too.

I'm sometimes seeing some pretty big spikes on the server CPU when hitting pages heavy with grid content, and it leads to the web server stopping to respond after a while. I will look into the proper way of rendering the templates and apply Donut Caching to see if I can alleviate the problem.

• Arjan Woldring 124 posts 231 karma points
    Jan 05, 2017 @ 14:57
    Arjan Woldring

Hi guys,

This post got my attention because I was thinking lately to do something the same for a customer.

Some customer would like to have a very big footer on the bottom of the page with lots of links and other stuff in it. So I was thinking to use the Grid for the footer so that customers have freedom in creating the footer for their own needs.

In regard to website speed and mostly the Time To First Byte I would like to get the Footer-Grid through an AJAX call. Because the footer is something that Visitors don't see on pageload so that could be Lazy loaded in my opinion. So that the perceived performance is improved.

Preferable I would have an API Call that returns the GetGridHTML Data.

But the caching part concerns me and I wonder if this footer-ajax-grid-thingy is a good approach at all.

Donut Output Caching seems not to work in combination with Umbraco ApiControllers. There for we should use OutputCache.

Check this post out: Caching in Umbraco

I wonder what u guys think if this is a good approach to achieve more (perceived) faster loading websites.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft