Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean Hynes 10 posts 142 karma points
    May 17, 2017 @ 15:31
    Sean Hynes

Node not working with Descendants

Hi

Slightly odd issue. Been using Umbraco for a couple of months building a site and from time to time have had a friend help and we just uploaded the project folder to our cloud drive when we needed to handover

In the last two days he uploaded several hundred content items using CMSImport (1 item representing each client: name, about, url etc)

However, when I took the file back, all the information uploaded I can see in the backend (all the clients with their information), but the code ".Descendants("organisation") no longer works at my end

I have an identical set of files to him, we have the same version and exactly the same code, however in my version: Homepage.Descendants("organisation") isn't pulling any of the organisations out into the site table, but his version is working.

I would say it's a coding issue, but we have identical files and I've checked the code.

He deleted his project folder and reinstalled the files from the version he uploaded and his code still works. If I change "organisation" to a different content type on my end I can see it pulling out entries. It is literally showing 0 entries being pulled out if I use "organisation".

Out of ideas - could Umbraco be struggling with Descendants if there's a couple of hundred entries to pull out (even so it's working his end)? Is there anything I could have done to my version of Umbraco that would cause an issue my end?

Regards Sean

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 17, 2017 @ 15:43
    Hendy Racher

Hi Sean,

Are you using SQL CE so that the data is on the file system so shared when you upload the project to the cloud, or a common shared database ?

This is a guess, but have you tried rebuilding your indexes and perhaps a 'Republish entire site' ? (by clicking Content, then 'Do something else', then 'Republish entire site')

HTH, Hendy

May 17, 2017 @ 15:53
    Sean Hynes

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. Using SQL CE - yep haven't had any problem in the past uploading the project.

Just hit republish entire site (didn't realise that was there), but unfortunately didn't change anything

Regards Sean

May 17, 2017 @ 16:24
    Sean Hynes

Ah I think you've got me a bit closer - could it be caused by caching?

I noticed the nodes are a few levels down (Homepage > Organisations > Organisation > Organisation Events) and I'm looking at Organisation and Organisation Events in the Descendants code and just realised that these don't seem to be in the cache even after the republish the entire site

Anyone know how to get these in the cache?

May 17, 2017 @ 22:52
    Sean Hynes

Managed to solve it - was a caching issue. Only way I got them into cache was by clicking on the parent node and forcing a publish of all subfolders

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft